I love to decorate birthday cakes for my kids. It seems more personal if Mom can do it herself instead of picking one up at the store. The icing that I use is the recipe that I want to share with you. It is a really yummy icing, but low on sugar, so you don’t end up with a bunch of kids with a sugar high. This recipe is one that was given to me by my sister-in-law (Thanks, Dana!).
Icing for cake decorating
March 5, 2008 ·
These are a few of the birthday cakes I’ve made for my daughter.
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 package instant vanilla pudding
Start whipping the cream, as you would for whipped topping. Once it starts to get fluffy, add the package of instant pudding mix. The mix will thicken up instantly. You can add powdered sugar & vanilla to your whipped cream before adding the pudding package, but I have never found a need to do that. From here, you can add your colouring gels or food colour (just don’t do too much liquid colouring, as it will start to thin down your frosting).
If you wish to do a chocolate icing, you can use a package of instant chocolate pudding instead. I did that one year for a teddy bear, he turned out a wonderful brown colour (I just couldn’t find a picture of him now).
NOTE: I have been able to pipe this frosting without a problem, but you will want to work with small batches in your piping bag, because if it gets too warm from your hands, it will get too soft to pipe. You will want to keep this frosting (and the cake you’ve frosted) refrigerated.
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
Find what You’re Looking For!
- The Best Gluten-Free Cinnamon Buns (or Rolls, if you prefer)
- Balsamic Roasted Red Potatoes
- Homemade Fondant that Tastes like Buttercream
- Gluten Free Lemon Bars (the Way Lemon Bars Should Be)
- Gluten Free Penne with Chicken and Pesto
- Gluten Free Old Fashioned Doughnuts
- Gluten Free Homemade Granola Bars
- The Ultimate Sticky Monkey Bread
- Another Wonderful Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Gluten Free Classic Strawberry Shortcake
- Homemade Gluten Free Granola
- Diagnosis: Delicious – Living Gluten-free to Treat Celiac Disease
- Canada’s First Food Bloggers Conference, Eh?
- Another cookie for you, Mr. MP
- Symptoms of Celiac Disease
- Gluten-Free Spicy Chicken Taco Salad
- How to Save Money When Buying Your Beef
- Gluten-Free Dutch Oven Cheddar and Beer Bread
- April 2, 2013 ~ Update