Gluten-Free Oreo Cookies

Mmm…Oreo cookies that are alright for a gluten-intolerant tummy. :) OK, maybe not the waistline of a gluten-intolerant person, but this sure will satisfy any cravings you have for Oreo cookies! :)

These cookies have some crunch to them (the thinner you can slice them when making them, the crunchier they’ll be), and the cookie & frosting both taste exactly like the regular Oreo cookies you buy in the store. AND, you can make all your cookie “Double Stuff” if you want! Yeah! :) Next time (yes, this is a recipe I’ll be making again!), I may try to flavour the icing with coffee…mmm…a mocha Oreo cookie… Delightful! :)

You could also roll the dough out on parchment paper, bake in a full sheet, and, once cooled, make crumbs in your food processor. These crumbs would be perfect for making gluten-free crusts for cheesecakes or pies!

16 Responses to Gluten-Free Oreo Cookies

1. Carrie June 2, 2008 at 9:36 am #

i have GOT to try these gal!!!! Thanks for sharing!! great picture!

2. Jeanine June 2, 2008 at 9:40 am #

You’re welcome! :) I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, they fill that sweet-tooth craving quite nicely! (and they freeze well too, to defrost just let sit on the counter for a few minutes)

3. Joelle March 9, 2009 at 11:12 pm #

I was wondering if these were suppose to be crunchy like a real Oreo, or if they are suppose to be a little soft – cake-like? Mine came out crunchy, and your pic looks like a soft texture.

4. Jeanine March 10, 2009 at 6:08 am #

Mine were not as crisp as a bought cookie, but not so soft that I’d call them cake-like either. They were crisper, and that could all depend on how thin your cookies are when you bake them too. I’ve also rolled this out onto a big cookie sheet, baked it whole, then broke it up and put it in the food processor for gluten-free oreo crumbs, they work great in rum balls or as crusts for cheesecakes. HTH!

5. JoyousTreasures October 3, 2009 at 7:40 pm #

Wow, these are awesome! I made a batch of these today, and everyone agreed they taste almost just like the store bought ones!

I'm having gluten free oreo cake tomorrow!

6. Jeanine October 9, 2009 at 2:17 pm #

yeah! Glad to hear these were a hit. I like to keep the chocolate crumbs on hand, makes it easy to make something like Snickers Pie or Rum Balls at the last minute. :)
    How was your oreo cake??

7. JoyousTreasures January 22, 2010 at 11:44 am #

Jeanine,

The cake was awesome! Tasted just like oreo cake is supposed to!

8. Anonymous April 6, 2010 at 3:19 pm #

Hi, this recipe looks wonderful. But i was wondering do you think it would still be good if instead of the one egg I also use the egg replacer for that one. I've been working on coming up with baked goods and treats for my daughter who has food allergys. It really been challenging because she is not allowed milk, eggs, wheat, soy, nuts or seafood. So egg is one of the things on her no no list. I'm trying to come up with a way to make dirt n worms for a class treat for her class that she can eat as well. Thanks any advice is appreciated.

Maggie

9. Jeanine April 7, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

Hi Maggie!
    Since you're wanting to make this into crumbs, I'd be tempted to leave the egg out all together. Maybe add a few Tbsp of more liquid (soy or rice milk?) in place of it. The egg will hold it together more, but since you're making crumbs anyway, I'd mix it up, roll it all out on one sheet of parchment & bake it that way, then break it apart for the dirt & worms. Let me know how it works for you!

10. Anonymous April 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

Thank you so much. I'm getting ready to dig in and bake away. I'll let you know how it works. :)

Maggie

11. Anonymous November 17, 2010 at 11:37 am #

Oh my goodness! I just made these and they are amazing! They actually do taste like Oreos. I am using some ground into crumbs for Christmas baking, and the others as whole "Oreos". Thanks for the recipe!

12. Gigi @Gluten Free Gigi December 9, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

Jeanine,
    I love this recipe so much! I "adopted" you for this month's adopt a gf blogger at Book of Yum! I hope you're able to check out my post and pic of your lovely cookies that my daughter and I enjoyed making together for this month's event!
    Cheers,
    Gigi :)

13. Carrie August 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

I made these last week and my kids LOVED them. I never really baked before, but now that I have to cook and bake 98% of my food to avoid cross contamination and being deathly ill, I have been on a cooking,and baking spree! THANK-YOU so much for all your recipes they have been so helpful to me!

• Jeanine August 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Awesome! Glad to hear that the kids are loving them. :) You’re very welcome!

14. melanie February 5, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

Do I have to use the egg replacer? Can I use more egg? Or omit it? I just don’t have any. I love your site. It’s new to me and we now refer to your recipes for all our baking needs. Thank you.

• Jeanine February 11, 2013 at 11:19 am #

I’ve only made them as written, Melanie, but I’d think you could make it without. Just add an extra 2 tsp of tapioca starch.