Mmm…Oreo cookies that are alright for a gluten-intolerant tummy. OK, maybe not the waistline of a gluten-intolerant person, but this sure will satisfy any cravings you have for Oreo cookies!
These cookies have some crunch to them (the thinner you can slice them when making them, the crunchier they’ll be), and the cookie & frosting both taste exactly like the regular Oreo cookies you buy in the store. AND, you can make all your cookie “Double Stuff” if you want! Yeah! Next time (yes, this is a recipe I’ll be making again!), I may try to flavour the icing with coffee…mmm…a mocha Oreo cookie… Delightful!
You could also roll the dough out on parchment paper, bake in a full sheet, and, once cooled, make crumbs in your food processor. These crumbs would be perfect for making gluten-free crusts for cheesecakes or pies!
3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp. egg substitute
2/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter (I used margarine without a problem)
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 tsp milk
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tbsp shortening
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp hot water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, egg replacer, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a bowl of the mixer, cream the margarine and sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
4. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions. If the dough becomes too stiff, add the milk as needed.
5. Shape the dough into two 10″x1 1/2″ rolls. Wrap in foil (or plastic wrap)and chill. Chill for about 15-20 minutes.
6. Cut into 1/8″ slices, if you have a cookie stamp, you can at this point press it into the sliced cookies before baking. Bake these cookies on an UNGREASED cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
7. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from the cookie sheet. Cool thoroughly on a rack.
8. For the filling, combine confectioners’ sugar, shortening, vanilla and hot water (use enough to create a good spreading texture).