Gluten-Free Whole Grain Sandwich Bread

I am gluten free. I have Celiac disease. To me, it’s stupid to call it a disease, cause it isn’t. Someone is allergic to peanuts, do you say they have a disease? Nope! However, I see it as my tummy just doesn’t digest gluten the way it should. That’s fine. Since switching over to a gluten free diet I have learned a lot about gluten free baking, which isn’t all that hard, it’s kind of like a science experiment every time. So, the kitchen has become my little science lab. :) And I’m feeling so much better in only a few months, that it is worth it for me.

When people hear gluten free, they think you will be lacking. To tell you the truth, a lot of the baking I do now is nearly better than my regular baking. The only stinky part is that you can’t go buy the convenience foods like you once could, a lot of what you make has to be made in your very own kitchen. But that’s not a bad thing, at least you know what is in it then, and you can alter things to suit your tastes.

One of the BEST recipes I’ve come across (and a staple in my new GF diet) is the Whole Grain Sandwich bread from Carrie at Ginger Lemon Girl. Wow! I think I’ve made this bread about 5 times already, and each time I get 2 small loaves. I’ve shared my bread with those in my family, and they all love it too. It is a fantastic recipe, which I’ve tweaked a little to suit my personal tastes. To see the original recipe, you can check out Carrie’s blog HERE.

30 Responses to Gluten-Free Whole Grain Sandwich Bread

1. Susan July 10, 2008 at 7:55 am #

Good job Jeanine..even with gluten free baking ,your bread is turning out great!!

2. Carrie July 10, 2008 at 10:41 am #

Dawn! Looks absolutely beautiful! I love how your bread loaves look like real bread loaves!! Yum!!!

The only thing you might want to change is in the beginning you said it was my “whole wheat” bread… that might confuse people! It’s whole grain, but thankfully wheat free! LOL

I’m so glad you are enjoying it! Your bread is absolutely beautiful!!

3. Jeanine July 10, 2008 at 8:46 pm #

Oops! Whole wheat was a typo, sorry, it’s corrected now. Guess we’re even…I’m Jeanine, not Dawn. :)

That bread is worth buying the bread dipping oil for…delicious! :)

4. Carrie July 11, 2008 at 10:55 am #

*sigh* lol… i’m easily confused!! lol one day i’ll get your name right!!

5. Joelle January 20, 2009 at 5:25 pm #

Hi…this loaf looks great! I was just wondering what you would substitute for the dry milk powder, and how much? Thanks!

6. Jeanine January 26, 2009 at 12:38 pm #

Hi Joelle, sorry for the delay!
    You could replace the water in the wet ingredients with soy or rice milk, if dairy isn’t an option. You can also leave it out, but then I can’t tell you if it’ll be drier or not, I believe the milk powder makes a moister loaf. HTH, and let me know if you try it!

7. Anonymous June 17, 2009 at 1:51 pm #

Hi, I have 2 questions. 1) Which recipe of Carrie's is this? (I've tried some of her recipes too and I'm curious to know if this is one that I have tried already.)

2) What is the pectin for? (does it add fiber, or maybe is it used as a binder?)

Thanks for your help!

8. Jeanine June 19, 2009 at 8:05 am #

Hi there,
    This recipe is from Carrie's "Favorite Gluten-free Sandwich Bread". I've really been enjoying the bread listed on the side of my blog, I've never had a flop with it!

The pectin, I think that's used as a binder, but I also believe it adds protein to the bread.

9. Anonymous June 28, 2009 at 11:54 am #

If I don't have white rice flour what should I sub? More brown rice flour? Thanks for your help!

10. Anonymous July 9, 2009 at 8:25 pm #

You must have the magic touch….. I've tried several gf bread recipes including 2 from your page w/ brick like results. I am going to start searching for a good packaged bread.

11. Jeanine July 9, 2009 at 8:58 pm #

If you don't have white rice flour, I'd sub more brown rice flour.

I'm not sure what the problem is, I haven't had a bread flop on me in nearly a year already.
    This is the one I bake every 2 weeks or so, with great results: http://thebakingbeauties.blogspot.com/2009/02/another-wonderful-gluten-free-sandwich.html

I've never bought a loaf of bread, so I can't help you with any suggestions on that. Sorry!

12. HEALTHYBAKER July 12, 2009 at 10:14 am #

The bread looks great! It's always encouraging to come across some nice adventurous recipes, that encourage home baking.

One thing though, sadly celiac is a disease and an auto immune disease. A lot of problems come up from people who don't understand it thinking it's an allergy which it isn't and then they don't take it seriously or think you're just being picky.

13. Amanda and Nick April 26, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

I made this last night and it was fantastic! First loaf of home made gluten free bread! So so good :) Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I have almost been a whole year without bread the store bought stuff is so gross.

14. Brittany April 6, 2012 at 3:08 am #

Celiacs disease and a wheat allergy are two completely different things. Celiacs is an auto-immune disease where wheat gluten triggers the immune system to attack the inner lining of the intestines. It can create serious complications and prevent the body from absorbing nutrients. An allergy is a hypersensitivity that creates an inflammatory response, not the body attacking itself. A wheat allergy and a peanut allergy are similar. Celiacs and a peanut allergy, not even close. We need to be careful and not mislead people into believing that celiacs disease is not serious. Celiacs disease does not always produce symptoms. Someone expecting a reaction like hives or a runny nose (symptoms of allergies) may continue to eat wheat gluten, and seriously harm themselves, when asymptomatic.

15. Alice Theofan September 4, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

Hi Jeannie!
    I have been making your wonderful gluten free bread into buns for over a year now and they work out perfect every time!!! Now my husbands Dr. says that he needs to eat more whole grain in his diet and I’ve been trying to figure out how to do that with a Celiac…..Now I know! I’m sure this bread will be a delicious too. I’ll be excited to try it as a loaf or even a few buns!!! I’ll let you know how he likes it!!
    Thanks again! :)

• Jeanine Friesen September 6, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Hi Alice! According to the whole grains council website, brown rice and oats are both whole grains. The recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Bread can be made without the raisins or cinnamon, for a great loaf as well: http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2010/04/gluten-free-oatmeal-cinnamon-raisin-bread.html That is, if he can tolerate GF oats.

• Alice Theofan September 7, 2013 at 10:41 am #

Thanks Jeanine! I will check that recipe out too. Yes he can tolerate GF Oats.
        Did you ever try making those buns out of the Most Wonderful Bread recipe? I’m still making them every 2 weeks. They freeze beautifully!!!

• Alice Theofan September 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

No Millet Flour to be found where I live! :P What can I substitute it with? Any other grain flour? Frustrating when thing don’t work like you want it too!

• Jeanine Friesen September 9, 2013 at 7:11 am #

Alic, in this case, I’d just use more sorghum or brown rice flour, since it is such a small amount.

• Jeanine Friesen September 9, 2013 at 7:12 am #

Yes, I have! You’re right, they do make a really good bun. What do you use to form your buns in for baking?

• Alice Theofan September 17, 2013 at 10:03 pm #

Hi Jeanine, the small tinfoil pie plates. They are meat pie size. I fill them about 1/2 full. I can get 7 or 8 buns out of one recipe.

16. croak October 3, 2013 at 11:29 am #

Hi Jeanine, what can I substitute for the pectin as I have none.

• Jeanine Friesen October 9, 2013 at 11:32 am #

Hi croak,
      You can easily omit the pectin and just bake it, it won’t make that much of a difference.

17. Karen October 15, 2013 at 10:39 am #

Hi Jeanine-so glad I found your blog. My 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac a month ago. I am an avid baker (and a fairly good one at that) living in rural Saskatchewan and not being able to bake with the grains growing all around me is a stretch, to say the least!! We Mennonites have that in our blood! In these last four weeks, I’ve found many recipes for bread but none that I’m really satisfied with. This one looks amazing!
    Anyway, I’d like to try this recipe today. I don’t have apple cider vinegar on hand. Is there a substitute? What exactly does it do?

• Jeanine Friesen October 15, 2013 at 10:48 am #

Hi Karen, I know exactly what you’re talking about! I remember thinking too – really?!? I’m surrounded by wheat and barley fields! Ah well, we learn to adapt. :) Instead of the apple cider vinegar, you could use regular vinegar. I have another recipe on here that I like better, it is this one: http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2009/02/another-wonderful-gluten-free-sandwich-bread.html

But I also really love this one: http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2013/04/gluten-free-cheddard-beer-bread.html

I have another bread that is more like a white sandwich bread (but still healthy) that I hope to share in the next week or two, so keep checking back! :)

• Karen October 15, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Success!! Jeanine – this bread is amazing! Rose beautifully, is fluffy, not gummy and tastes great! I find out this week if I’m Celiac in addition to my daughter. This bread and your blog have really encouraged me. I made a delicious gluten free pumpkin pie with your pastry recipe on the weekend and all loved it. Am thankful for your blog as I reflect on Thanksgiving this time of year!

• Jeanine Friesen October 15, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

NICE!! So glad to hear that Karen! Good luck with your test results. I am diagnosed celiac, but my Mom’s blood work came back negative. But, the blood work isn’t the most accurate, and can give false negatives. She benefits from a gluten-free diet though, so go figure.
          Glad to hear that everyone enjoyed the pumpkin pie too! There isn’t much we can’t do if we’re determined. :)

18. GwenH November 10, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Hi Jeanine, for the pectin can you use certo? Or is it one in the same… lol

• Jeanine Friesen November 11, 2013 at 11:15 am #

Yes, Certo is pectin, just a brand name of it, I believe. :)

19. Alvera November 25, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

Hello Jeanine! I am wanting to use this recipe as my first attempt ever!!! My only issue that hasn’t been talked about is the yeast…can I not use my fast rising? I am so spoiled!