Delicious Gluten-Free Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce

There really is no better way for a celiac to start the LONG WEEKEND (yes, we’re having a long weekend here in Canada this weekend), than with a nice stack of celiac-friendly pancakes. The only thing that would make that better is if those pancakes are topped with a delicious homemade blueberry sauce.

I made these pancakes when we went camping the last time. By mixing all of my dry ingredients together before leaving home, all I had to add was milk, eggs & oil when I was ready to fry them up. I also cooked up this sauce before we left, and just reheated it before pouring it on top of the pancakes. These pancakes are really, really good. They are actually better than my “regular” pancakes that I used to make. We all enjoy these on a Saturday morning, and I hope you will too!

35 Responses to Delicious Gluten-Free Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce

1. Susan August 2, 2008 at 2:04 pm #

Good looking pancakes..that blueberry sauce looks great..

2. Alexa August 2, 2008 at 4:03 pm #

Jeanine,
    yum. yum. I’ll have to try your recipe for my family. They look great!

3. Tim August 3, 2008 at 8:51 am #

That sauce.. just wow! Next time I make pancakes I know what I’m going to have on them :)

4. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) August 3, 2008 at 10:35 am #

Oh, this looks so yummee. I could deal with quite a few of these right now….

5. Kevin August 4, 2008 at 1:39 pm #

Those pancakes looks really good!

6. • friX • March 19, 2009 at 3:20 am #

Yum ! Those look great as well !

7. cdub August 27, 2011 at 10:05 am #

these pancakes don’t just look great…they TASTE great, too! i just tried them this morning. i’ve been gluten free for about 5 years, these are the best gf pancakes, hands down. i don’t like when people say ‘couldn’t tell they were gluten free’, because most of the time, you actually can tell. but not these – these are every bit as good as gluten free pancakes. awesome. even my picky 12 year old connoisseur of pancakes loved them! thank you for sharing!

8. Lindsay August 30, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

Hi, my family and I are getting ready to go camping, and I remembered you had posted about GF camping food… (I subscribe to your blog). Anyway, I have a few quick questions. I love the benefits of ground flaxseed, but I don’t love the taste of it. :) Is it detectable in the pancakes? Also, can this mix be kept at room temperature for a day or so, even though it has the ground flax in it? And, lastly, about how many pancakes does this make? It’s just my husband and I and our two-year old. :) Thanks! I appreciate your feedback!!

• Jeanine August 30, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

Wonderful, Lindsay! Actually…I usually leave the flax seed out. ;) Just add a little less buttermilk, and you’ll be good to go. And the mix lasts at room temperature, no problem at all. As for how many pancakes? If you had some fresh fruit, you could probably cut it in half and have enough for the 3 of you. It feeds my family of 4, and sometimes we have leftovers (but never when camping). ;) Have fun!!

9. Lindsay August 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm #

Thank you for your quick response! In general, would you consider these pancakes ‘light and fluffy?’ If I DO add in the flaxseed, is the texture compromised at all (i.e. gummy)?

• Jeanine August 30, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

They are definitely light & fluffy, and not having the flax seed won’t be a problem. Trust me! ;)

10. cdub January 6, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

oops! i just realized i had typed that these are every bit as good as gluten free pancakes…what i meant to say is they are every bit as good as pancakes made with wheat flour/gluten! so yummy. will be having again for breakfast tomorrow :-)

11. Norma Chang February 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Those pancakes sure look delicious. I can think of so many ideas to use that blueberry sauce. Thanks for sharing.

• Jeanine February 26, 2012 at 9:24 am #

You’re welcome! That sauce is good on anything! :) Waffles, ice cream, french toast, cheesecake, etc.

12. Amy June 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

I was wondering if maybe you could tell me if I could use Bob’s Red Mill GF AP baking flour four this recipe ? if so how much would I use for it? Thanks so much , I am new to the whole GF diet and am trying to learn to make things that I love and still be able to eat them. :)

• Jeanine June 15, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Hi Amy, You can try subbing out the brown rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch with the mix, but I can’t tell you how it will work. I never use bought mixes, as I don’t have access to them. sorry!

• Amy June 20, 2012 at 11:38 am #

Thanks for the reply :) I think I will wait until I can get to the store and get the stuff needed for it lol :)

13. Jenn October 17, 2012 at 11:21 am #

We are new to gluten-free. I was beginning to feel like a failure. Meal after meal, my older kids struggled to eat their food and my 3 yr old just told me it was “Yucky”. Then, I found your site. These pancakes are wonderful! My 3 yr old ate 3 servings! They have the taste and mouthfeel of gluten pancakes. I can’t wait to try out your other recipes!

• Jeanine October 17, 2012 at 11:32 am #

So glad to help, Jenn! That’s why I blog. :) It is rough in the beginning, you have no idea how much “not great” food my family had to put up with! lol So glad to help your family adjust! Hope that everyone thrives while eating delicious gluten-free food. :)

14. Becky October 26, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Sweet! I’m glad you posted a recipe for ‘normal’ pancakes. I want to try a new recipe (other than my own) and I’m gonna use yours. I found a recipe for cinnamon roll pancakes. OMG. We’re having breakfast for dinner tonight! And we’ll be using your pancakes here as our base. ^_^ I’ll let ya know on facebook how they turn out! <3

15. Jools October 30, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Thanks again Jeanine for this recipe, it’s another hit from your website! Instead of all the flours and flaxseed, I used my trustworthy Doves Farm Gluten Free White Bread Flour with the full 2 cups of buttermilk. Here in Holland we are used to the more crepe-like pancakes, so this is quite an exotic treat for us. The children already call them pancakerolls, because for them they resemble a bit breadrolls. Try it with some baked and caramelized apples and vanilla creme fraiche …mmmm!

16. Cathy December 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

Jeanine in October my youngest got eggs back into his diet. So, the only restrictions we have now are tree nuts, peanuts, and gluten. My husband and middle daughter avoid gluten, too. I have been loving you site since I found it in October! I currently have the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in the oven. The rolled sugar cookies are on the dining room table ready to be packed for our family get together and frosted by the kids. The chocolate chip banana muffins are there, too. I have a ziplock bag prepped for pancakes, and we are definitely going to try the Breakfast Casserole this weekend. I’m hoping to have time to prep the Monkey Bread. Thank you for all the delicious treats. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season.

• Jeanine December 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

Aw, thank you Cathy! I wish I could give you a big old HUG right now! I’m so glad that I’ve been able to help your family, and it sounds like you’re well stocked for the holidays now!! :) How awesome! Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

17. Terri Davila February 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Wow!! These pancakes were fabulous! They were soft and light and fluffy like pancakes should be. Paired with the Blueberry sauce made these a winning combination. My boys say the flavors together are a perfect match with the pancakes light and the sauce made them feel hearty. These are a hit in my house especially since I think they almost ate their weight in these. :) Thanks for all you do!!

• Jeanine February 4, 2013 at 7:22 am #

Haha, that’s perfect, Terri! My kids LOVES these pancakes too, and that blueberry sauce is good on anything! Waffles, ice cream, cheesecake. Mmm…

18. AllieSong February 20, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

You have made my dreams come true! Every homemade GF pancake I’ve tried had been runny and oh so thin. But not these pancakes, they were nice and thick and fuffy! Mmmmm…..gotta stop eating them! Even my gluten-eating boys approve. Thanks a million!

• Jeanine February 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

Aw, that’s awesome, AllieSong! I’ve been making these for years, couldn’t ever figure out why others were saying they missed pancakes, when they were so easy to make. :)

19. Steph September 21, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

Maybe you’re tired of my comments already but I just had to say that these pancakes are AMAZING!! I won’t be making any other pancakes ever again, I couldn’t believe that they tasted like regular pancakes! And with the blueberry sauce it was wonderful! We just had a delicious family brunch thanks to you.

• Jeanine Friesen October 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Oh, I never tire of comments, Steph! :) They ARE just like regular pancakes, aren’t they? I don’t understand why someone would buy pancake mix when they are so easy to make!

20. Amber December 10, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Mmm, these are my favorite. I make them all the time. Thank you :-)

21. Cat January 2, 2014 at 11:26 am #

These are AMAZING! Thank you for the wonderful recipe – this is now my go-to pancake recipe!

22. esther February 22, 2014 at 10:44 am #

Jeanine; I have tried so many GF pancake recipes. I put this one together this morning THIS IS, HANDS DOWN, THE BEST GF PANCAKE RECIPE! Light, fluffy, tasty, NOT dry (which is epic considering it’s GF) I am so happy, giddy, in fact. Thanks for all your recipes…they’re all great!

23. Karen March 12, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

This has become my daughter’s favourite gf pancake recipe. Love them with substituting some of the milk for coconut milk and sprinkling coconut on top before flipping. Mmmm! At the moment, I’m out of tapioca starch and live in rural SK so can’t get any right now. Do you know if I could substitute corn starch?? Also, my daughter is planning on going to Providence College in fall- can I count on you to take her some mom’s homemade GF baking every week ;) Love all your recipes!