Today is my baby’s 3rd birthday. Wow, where have the last 3 years gone. He was born 3 years ago, early in the morning, just before the doctor had to leave for a weekend-long conference (phew!). He was also born on his due date, which I understand is a very odd thing to happen. He is a busy little boy, and definitely entering his 3rd year, as everything we say is met with a cute little “Why?”. Well, it’s cute the first few times it is asked, and we have found that the easiest way to end the “Why” line of questioning is to just answer “Because we love you”.
So, to celebrate the joy that this little sweetheart has brought into our lives, we’re having Carrot muffins. These gluten-free carrot muffins are actually made using a recipe that will make an 8-inch square pan of cake as well. Whether you make the muffins or the cake, it is nearly a MUST to top it off with your favorite cream cheese icing, delicious! You can’t even tell they are GF!
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup millet flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with liners (or grease an 8-inch pan). If greasing, dust lightly with sweet rice flour.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
3. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients. Add shredded carrots, oil, yogurt, and beaten eggs.
4. Stir together until well incorporated and scoop into prepared pans.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Cool cake completely before frosting.
Source: Ginger Lemon Girl