Gluten-Free Carrot Muffins/Cake

Today is my baby’s 3rd birthday. Wow, where have the last 3 years gone. He was born 3 years ago, early in the morning, just before the doctor had to leave for a weekend-long conference (phew!). He was also born on his due date, which I understand is a very odd thing to happen. He is a busy little boy, and definitely entering his 3rd year, as everything we say is met with a cute little “Why?”. Well, it’s cute the first few times it is asked, and we have found that the easiest way to end the “Why” line of questioning is to just answer “Because we love you”. :)

So, to celebrate the joy that this little sweetheart has brought into our lives, we’re having Carrot muffins. These gluten-free carrot muffins are actually made using a recipe that will make an 8-inch square pan of cake as well. Whether you make the muffins or the cake, it is nearly a MUST to top it off with your favorite cream cheese icing, delicious! You can’t even tell they are GF! :)

17 Responses to Gluten-Free Carrot Muffins/Cake

1. betty r September 24, 2008 at 5:16 pm #

Happy Birthday to your baby on his 3rd birthday. He is so cute!
    Yummy carrot muffins!

2. Iris September 24, 2008 at 5:29 pm #

What a handsome little man! Happy Birthday!

Muffins look great. Cream Cheese Icing, here I come!

3. Clumbsy Cookie September 24, 2008 at 6:14 pm #

Happy birthday to the little one! Your kid is adorable and so are the muffins!

4. TerryLynnL September 24, 2008 at 9:42 pm #

Happy 3rd Birthday, Nicholas!! How time flies!
    I guess it was just over 3 years ago that I was out there then. Seems like a life time ago though.

Hope he had a great Bday!

5. Rose&Thorn September 25, 2008 at 4:24 am #

Thanks for sharing this recipe, I love to bake gluten free and these really do look good. Can’t wait to try them.

6. Jeanine September 25, 2008 at 7:00 pm #

Betty – Thanks, he is cute, isn't he?? :) He's a little photo copy of his Daddy, that's for sure!

Iris – cream cheese frosting = more time jogging. lol

Cookie – Thank you very much, we're pretty fond of him (most of the time) too. ;)

TL – yep, just over 3 years! Wow, time flies, eh? Feels like a lifetime already. So…when are ya coming again?? :)

Rose & Thorn – I hope you enjoy the muffins, I know I did. ;)

7. Simply...Gluten-free September 26, 2008 at 8:37 am #

What a handsom boy! Happry Birthday to him. This is my first time here, great blog, I will be back.

8. Maya September 26, 2008 at 9:46 am #

What a cutie! Happy birthday to him!

9. Prairie Girl Boutique September 26, 2008 at 11:09 am #

Happy belated Birthday Nicholas! You’ve grown up so much since I last seen you!

10. Kevin September 30, 2008 at 8:10 pm #

Nice looking muffins. I like the thick layer of frosting.

11. Susan October 9, 2008 at 8:55 pm #

these are wonderful muffins – my kids just eat them up. I also use pureed fresh spinach, apple, ginger along with the carrot enough to make 1 1/2 cups (I use the pulp leftover from juicing). It adds some extra green nutrition for my kids. Thanks for the recipe!

12. Mel May 2, 2009 at 6:07 am #

I have a suggestion for these, I hope that’s okay! My baker friend makes an incredible (so I’m told) carrot cake and she uses carrot baby food to add some extra carrot oomph while keeping it SUPER moist. I’ve always been intrigued by it but she’s never made me a GF version. I might just have to try it. J

ust thought I’d share!

13. Jeanine May 2, 2009 at 6:28 am #

Hi Mel,
    I’ve never thought of using pureed carrots in this cake, but I bet it would work fantastically. And I’m sure you’re right, I’d use it in place of the yogurt, which would make it dairy free. I’ll have to think of this the next time I make this cake (it is my husbands favorite cake, so it is quite often). :) Great suggestion! Thanks!

14. Noel and Ali January 19, 2010 at 6:30 am #

These were great! Thank you so much! I substituted coconut oil, and for the brown sugar, half raw honey/half agave syrup. Then it seemed too liquidy, so I was crazy and added about 1/2 cup of milled flaxseed. But somehow-it worked! Thank you so much!

15. Jeanine January 19, 2010 at 10:43 am #

Noel and Ali, so glad that you got this recipe to work for you! The excess liquid is probably due to using a liquid sweetener instead of the sugar. Good job on fixing that up with the ground flaxseed, which I'm sure works well (and makes it healthier) in this recipe.

16. Anonymous December 3, 2010 at 9:01 pm #

thank you so much. i made this into a loaf but it stuck a little so its more like chunky squares. I haven't had carrot cake in like a year since going gluten free. it was divine. i added walnuts, raisins and some unsweetened coconut for added texture. thank you so much!

17. Robin September 25, 2012 at 7:09 am #

Delicious!! I doubled the recipe and it was just right for a 9×13 pan. A batch of cream cheese frosting was the icing on the cake, and it was served for company last evening. No one even knew it was gluten free. This is a new favorite at our house. Thanks!