Gluten-Free Flax Bread

Welcome here! I’m glad that you’ve stopped by today. Today is the kick off of Gluten-Free Bread Baking week, in honour of Celiac Awareness Month. Each day this week I will be posting a new bread recipe for different types of breads. From great sandwich breads, which are loaded with all the healthy stuff, to quick breads & scones. I hope that you continue to come back throughout the week, and leave a comment or two to let me know how you’re enjoying these recipes. Let me know if you know of anyone with celiacs, or if you’ve been diagnosed yourself. It is surprising how many people have this disease. Once you start talking about it, everyone seems to know somone that is affected by it.

Without further ado, here is one of my favorite new bread recipes. Although I do love my Whole Grain Sandwich Bread, I am really enjoying this new Gluten-Free Flax Bread. I have tweaked the recipe a bit from it’s original recipe (go figure, seems I can’t leave a recipe alone!). The loaf is a regular sized loaf, made in a non-stick medium sized pan. It rises beautifully, bakes up beautifully, and actually gives a light, fluffy (even squishy) loaf. It is great eaten fresh, but I’m finding that I enjoy toasting my bread lately (maybe that is just so my Nutella will melt, hehe).

I bet you cut into that loaf before it is cool, warm bread is so delicious! Be sure to come back tomorrow, as we will have another tried & true Gluten-Free bread all ready for you try.

In the meantime, enjoy these little “You Might be a Celiac If…” tidbits. It’s meant to be fun, so please take it in that nature. I got these from a Celiac group on Facebook (we also have a Baking Beauties group there, if you want to join us, please do!).

You might be a celiac if…

…you’ve ever had to give a doctor a crash course in Celiac 101.
…you weep at picnics, parties, receptions, and breakfast, lunch, dinner.
…you’ve “brown bagged it” to an elegant dinner
…a 7 course meal is a 1 course meal for you -Lettuce.
…you’ve installed bookcases in your bathroom.
…you’ve driven more than 40 miles to buy a cookie.

22 Responses to Gluten-Free Flax Bread

1. Susan October 6, 2008 at 7:55 am #

Conrats on having a celiac week. Your doing great and always trying new recipes..try again and again until you succeed…good job….
    Mom

2. Iris October 6, 2008 at 9:10 am #

A wonderful start! I will try this one soon.
    You are soooo right about the Nutella on toasted brown bread. The breakfast of champions!

3. betty r October 6, 2008 at 10:24 am #

Great start to this week of breads..hope my celiac friends are checking..

4. Iris October 6, 2008 at 11:16 am #

Hi Jeanine! My husband enjoyed your list this morning, and added these.

You know you’re celiac if:

You find yourself reading the label of a food you have been eating for years.

You take your reading glasses to the grocery store.

Your friends think you are ridiculously anal because you won’t accept a snack unless you can read the original package label.

Servers at restaurants carry bulk packing from the kitchen so you can check the ingredients.

At least once a week you explain what Malt is and why it’s a problem.

Your family dreads you coming for supper.

5. Prairie Girl Boutique October 6, 2008 at 11:16 am #

You go girl….congratulations on the kick-off to celiacs bread baking week!

6. Jeanine October 6, 2008 at 11:25 am #

Ha, Iris, I love your list! I’ll be adding a short list everyday, there are some that I think only a fellow celiac could think up. :) Love your hubby’s list though, so true!

Betty, be sure to send your celiac friends my link! ;) They’ll like the goodies I have in store this week, I think.

Thanks, Dawn! It’s kinda fun to have a theme week, haven’t done one since we did BBQ week. :) And congrats on your website’s grand opening! Woohoo!

7. Clumbsy Cookie October 6, 2008 at 4:32 pm #

Great of you to do this! I love to add some flax seeds to stuff. Sounds great in bread!

8. Andrea October 6, 2008 at 11:21 pm #

My cousin was just diagnosed with celiac and she just doesn’t eat bread. I don’t think she has any idea of the possibilities. I’m going to send her a link to your blog though. Although she doesn’t bake, maybe this will inspire her! It’s really a beautiful loaf, can’t wait to see what’s next in the series!

9. • friedl • October 7, 2008 at 2:38 am #

Is it really “Celiac Awareness Month” over there ? How great, we don’t have that over here..

Well, anyway, I ‘m glad I ‘ve found the way to your blog, ’cause I ‘m a newly diagnosed celiac (only last week !) and I ‘m in the need of bread recipes ! (I ‘ve always loved baking anyway…)

Cary on, I ‘ll be here :-)

10. Jeanine October 7, 2008 at 7:09 am #

Clumbsy cookie – Thanks! :) I like to add ground flax seed to my GF pancakes too, adds a little extra healthy to them then (that cancels out the un-health from the syrup, right??) :)

Andrea, be sure to give her the link! I think with GF stuff, it’s easier to make it yourself, and tastes better than store bought too. I also don’t have many stores in my area that I can buy stuff from though. If she has any questions, she can ask! I’m new to this myself too, so I’m new to switching over.

friedl, thanks for popping in! It is indeed Celiac Awareness month out here. I never knew about it until this year though. I guess if it doesn’t affect you, you don’t pay attention to it. As long as you’ve always loved baking, you won’t have a problem switching over to baking GF. :)

11. Alexa October 7, 2008 at 11:03 am #

Jeanine,
    I’ll be checking in regularly as I am always baking my own GF bread these days. I love trying new recipes. There were some really good ones in the last issue Living Without Magazine. I made the boule recipe 3 times now: a huge hit with everyone in the family. The crust is just so wonderful. I am making yours today, except I’ll try agar agar instead of the gelatin. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks so much for doing this!

12. • friedl • October 8, 2008 at 6:36 am #

Thank God for internet, I totally agree with you on that ! I ‘ve already found many recipes, tips, ideas, and wonderfull people who are celiac, too…

It’s a challenge, that ‘s all.
    :-)

13. Anonymous New York October 10, 2008 at 12:59 pm #

Wow! I didn’t realize how tough it it is to have celiacs disease until I read all of your “you might be a celiac if” bullets. Who knew gluten was an airborne contaminant! Great posts this week. Everything looked great!

Cheers!

14. Jen February 24, 2010 at 5:33 am #

Hi, I'm a little bit confused with the recipe's directions.

In Step 2 you say "combine 1 Tbsp water and 3 Tbsp ground flax seed", but in the ingredients list under Flax Seed Mixture the quantities of water and flax seed are reversed.

Before I try making it, could you please confirm which is the correct one?

I look forward to making this so will tune back in and look for your reply.

Many thanks

15. Jeanine February 24, 2010 at 7:32 am #

Hi Jen,
    sorry about the reversal. The recipe should say 1 Tbsp flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbsp water. It can be used an an egg replacer, and that's what I decided to do instead of adding more egg whites.
    Happy Baking!

16. hope4today May 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

So, I decided to try another one of your bread recipes once I collected all the flours. Trusting the track record of your other recipes I've tried, I doubled everything up so I'd end up with two loaves of bread. I find the measuring and taking everything out and putting it back more challenging for my chronic fatigue…so might as well have reserves in the freezer.
    Just let the loaves cool and had the heel with butter and the last of last years pineapple-rhubarb jam. Oh my goodness!!! I felt so normal. :)
    The crust is great. Good crumb and good squish (?) too.
    I see some other recipes with similiar combinations of flours and I might on a good day give those a whirl. Thank you SO much for blazing the trail for me!
    Heidi

17. Vivi May 20, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Hi Jean,
    I can’t find milket flour in my local store, what can I use instead?
    Thanks

• Jeanine Friesen May 20, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Hi, Vivi! Baking again? :) I’d use more brown rice flour in place of the millet flour, should work well!

18. Rose April 15, 2014 at 12:55 pm #

I am new to CD and new to making bread. I am confused about the yeast – the ingredient list says “active dry yeast” (which I assume is traditional yeast) and the directions in step 1 mention “instant yeast”. Which one do I use for best results? Does it matter?

• Jeanine Friesen April 15, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Sorry about that, Rose! I’ve corrected it now – I always use instant yeast. It doesn’t need to be proofed, but gives it a bit of kickstart when it is, plus you know that your yeast is still active then. You can use dry active yeast as well, since it gets proofed in this recipe. Hope that helps!

• Rose April 15, 2014 at 1:05 pm #

Thanks for your reply. So, if I use traditional yeast I would follow the recipe as above. But, if I use instant yeast, do I still have to mix it with the warm water/milk and sugar?

• Jeanine Friesen April 15, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

I do – it never hurts to know that your yeast is working. If it isn’t foamy at that stage, you know to chuck it before proceeding.