I made these mini pies using a new GF crust recipe. I was very happy with this crust recipe, it was tender, and even slightly flaky. However, I only had to roll the dough into small balls & place in a mini muffin tin (to make mini tarts). I never had to roll out a whole pie, I’m not sure how it would behave then. I think if rolled between two sheets of wax paper, it wouldn’t be a problem. These little bite size tarts were perfect for dessert! If you don’t need a gluten-free dessert, use your favorite pie dough recipe, or even store bought tart shells.
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 round tsp. xanthan gum
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 2/3 Tbsp. ice water
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in the shortening.
- Blend together the beaten egg, vinegar, and cold water.
- Stir into the flour mixture, holding back some, until the pastry holds together and forms a ball. (Kneading will NOT toughen this pastry!)
- Form two balls and place in a bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. (This dough can also be frozen at this point. Just thaw in the fridge for a day before using.)
- Remove and roll one ball at a time between two sheets of plastic wrap that have been dusted with sweet rice flour.
NOTE: This pie crust is great for sweet or savoury dishes, like chicken pot pies.
Pecan Pumpkin Tart Filling
For Pumpkin Filling
- 3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
For Pecan Layer
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups pecans (5 1/2 ounces), chopped if desired
Make pumpkin filling:
Whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, egg, sour cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt in a bowl until smooth.
Make pecan layer:
Stir together corn syrup, brown sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla, zest, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl, then stir in pecans.
Assemble and bake pie:
Spread pumpkin mixture evenly in shells, then carefully spoon pecan mixture over it. Bake tarts in preheated 350 degree F oven until crust is golden and filling is puffed, about 30 minutes. (Center will still be slightly wobbly; filling will set as it cools.) Cool completely on rack. Serve at room temperature.
Note: Tarts can be baked 4 hours ahead and kept, uncovered, at cool room temperature. Tarts can also be baked 1 day ahead and chilled, loosely covered with plastic wrap. Reheat in a preheated 350°F oven until crust is crisp, about 10 minutes.