I made these mini pies using a new GF crust recipe. I was very happy with this crust recipe, it was tender, and even slightly flaky. However, I only had to roll the dough into small balls & place in a mini muffin tin (to make mini tarts). I never had to roll out a whole pie, I’m not sure how it would behave then. I think if rolled between two sheets of wax paper, it wouldn’t be a problem. These little bite size tarts were perfect for dessert! If you don’t need a gluten-free dessert, use your favorite pie dough recipe, or even store bought tart shells.
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 round tsp. xanthan gum
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 2/3 Tbsp. ice water
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in the shortening.
- Blend together the beaten egg, vinegar, and cold water.
- Stir into the flour mixture, holding back some, until the pastry holds together and forms a ball. (Kneading will NOT toughen this pastry!)
- Form two balls and place in a bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. (This dough can also be frozen at this point. Just thaw in the fridge for a day before using.)
- Remove and roll one ball at a time between two sheets of plastic wrap that have been dusted with sweet rice flour.
NOTE: This pie crust is great for sweet or savoury dishes, like chicken pot pies.
Pecan Pumpkin Tart Filling
For Pumpkin Filling
- 3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
For Pecan Layer
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups pecans (5 1/2 ounces), chopped if desired
Make pumpkin filling:
Whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, egg, sour cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt in a bowl until smooth.
Make pecan layer:
Stir together corn syrup, brown sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla, zest, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl, then stir in pecans.
Assemble and bake pie:
Spread pumpkin mixture evenly in shells, then carefully spoon pecan mixture over it. Bake tarts until crust is golden and filling is puffed, about 30 minutes. (Center will still be slightly wobbly; filling will set as it cools.) Cool completely on rack. Serve at room temperature.
Note: Tarts can be baked 4 hours ahead and kept, uncovered, at cool room temperature. Tarts can also be baked 1 day ahead and chilled, loosely covered with plastic wrap. Reheat in a preheated 350°F oven until crust is crisp, about 10 minutes.