Gluten-Free Gingersnap Cookies

Alright, holiday baking is starting to come to mind, and these cookies are great for then (although, I do them year round). They have the right amount of spices, they had a great texture, even days later, and they were a nice chewy gingersnap cookie. Delicious! Definitely add this to your “must try” list. I’ll add a recipe tomorrow that will take these and make them into an awesome (quick) dessert too!

If you have any tried & true Christmas baking recipes, please email them to me (use the button at the side). This is my first Christmas being gluten-free, so it’s a new ball game for me. I’d love recipes for sugar cookies, snicker doodles, anything with chocolate & caramel, hard peppernuts, or any other winners you might have! Now…back to the gingersnaps!

21 Responses to Gluten-Free Gingersnap Cookies

1. April November 12, 2008 at 9:26 am #

I have been wanting to make these! Thanks for posting the recipe!

2. Iris November 12, 2008 at 7:12 pm #

OOOh! My family will be very happy. I haven’t had much luck with turning my regular ginger cookie recipe gluten free, so this will be wonderful. Thanks, and I look forward to the recipe tomorrow.

I found a gluten free shortbread cookie recipe this weekend, but haven’t tried it yet. I’ll keep you posted. It’s not Christmas without shortbread!

3. Clumbsy Cookie November 12, 2008 at 7:41 pm #

Good thing they work gluten free as well! They look just as good as the “originals”! ;)

4. Anonymous November 12, 2008 at 9:25 pm #

Those cookies are absolutely fabulous. Great when used with ice cream as a sandwitch. MIL

5. Jeanine November 13, 2008 at 8:11 am #

Iris, let me know how those shortbread cookies work for you! I saw a great recipe over at Mennonite Girls Can Cook (link on the right) for some wonderful GF cranberry cookies, I must try those too! :)

6. vegetablej December 17, 2008 at 3:06 pm #

I’m definitely trying these. In the midst of holiday baking, I was searching for a gingerbread cookie recipe but these look better. Thanks!

If you like dark fruitcake, I have adapted a recipe. It was my grandmother’s, and now it’s gluten free and just as good, maybe better. Today’s post, December 17th.

7. MerrittWrites May 1, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

Delicious! I altered the recipe a bit because I do not eat refined sugar or dairy. I used Coconut oil in lieu of butter, agave nectar (1/2 amount of sugar in recipe) instead of sugar and buckwheat flour instead of tapioca, mostly because I didn’t have and tapioca.

They came out great! Thanks!

8. MerrittWrites May 1, 2009 at 6:08 pm #

Oh, and 2 tbs ground flax seed simmered with 6 tbs water for a few minutes to make an egg replacer, for a vegan option : )

9. Shelly November 18, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

These cookies did not turn out. They tasted like baking soda, and they ran all over the cookie sheet. Are you sure this recipe is correct? Can you help? Thanks!

10. Anonymous November 22, 2009 at 2:12 pm #

Good cookies! Husband and I both like them! I found that a key to making these is to make sure that the dough is kept refrigerated right up till I set them in the oven. That made a huge difference on how much they spread. Tasty! Thank you!

11. Jeanine January 6, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

Shelly, I don't have any problems with them tasting like baking soda. If you are using margarine instead of butter, you will want to be sure to use baking margarine (the squares) and not tub margarine. And refrigerate your dough prior to baking, that should help.

12. Carolyn July 31, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

I had the same problem as Shelley, minus the baking soda taste. Is it 1.5 cups, or 1.5 sticks of butter? My cookies flattened out so much they had holes. I tried cooking them longer, shorter, and in-between … the best batch was the first one when I accidentally left the oven on pre-heat!

My GF husband says they taste great … and he confiscated the whole lot for his snacking.

13. Anonymous November 30, 2010 at 1:11 am #

These were a dismal failure for me too. They were absolutely too runny with butter floating around. I too believe that the recipe must call for 1 1/2 sticks of butter instead of 1 1/2 cups. The original recipe from RecipeBazaar also says 1 1/2 cups and also has comments from people who are questioning the amount of butter due to failure. I blotted the butter off,froze them, and we ate them anyway in torn up pieces The taste was amazingly great.

14. Allison September 1, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

I just made these today to go with some pumpkin custard. They were wonderful! Five stars once again!

15. Sarah Alli November 22, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

Good thing I was only making these for cookie crumbs for a cheesecake crust. I kept them chilled until the last minute and they still ran all over the pan. I am a pretty experienced GF baker so I suspect the problem is with the recipe- probably too much butter like the others were saying. Next time I’ll try two sticks instead of three- because the flavor is excellent.

• Jeanine December 3, 2011 at 7:31 am #

Sorry, Sarah, I’m not sure. I’ve made them a few times, but haven’t had a problem. I do have a new soft gingersnap cookie I’m working on though. :)

16. Hannah December 18, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

These cookies turned out texture wise, but tasted super strongly of baking soda. I was carefull with the measurements, not wure what happened. I’m usually incline to put slightly less soda then called for, but followed the recipie this time. Ohwell! Would reccomend trying a little less soda and more spice then called for!

• Jeanine December 20, 2011 at 9:50 am #

There is a lot of baking soda in those cookies, I haven’t tried it with less though. If you do, please let me know how it works for you!

17. JUDY HALL June 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Just made these-nervous after reading all the comments. I used butter flavored Crisco. ( I do that with old oatmeal cookie recipe that always spread. ) No spreading! Also kept in refrig until time to bake…my balls were more like 1.5″ so it took much longer to bake these. BUT I love Gingersnaps and haven’t found a commercial one that is soft like I like. How should I store these? I usually put a piece of bread, GF, of course, in to keep cookies soft. I hope that won’t ruin them!

• Jeanine Friesen July 20, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Great tips, Judy! Thank you so much for sharing what works for you, I appreciate it!

1. Pumpkin Round-Up | The Baking Beauties - September 13, 2011

[...] Pumpkin Ice Cream – I really, really liked this ice cream. Especially when I made a batch of GF Gingersnap cookies, and made ice cream sandwiches out of it. Delicious! Chocolate Pumpkin Sheet Cake – This cake [...]