Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

I have never done as much baking with pumpkin as I have this year. We grew our own pumpkins this past summer. Two varieties; the jack-o-lantern pumpkins and the pie pumpkins. We had a lot of fun with the jack-o-lantern pumpkins, and make some pretty amazing Halloween decorations, as well as donated a number of them to my daughter’s school for their fall celebration.

The pie pumpkins, however, are proving to be a great addition to the garden as well. It is very easy to bake up the pumpkin, scoop it out, and use it the way you would canned pumpkin. All I did was cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds, place it on a baking sheet, cut size down, and baked at 350 degrees F until a knife inserted easily into the pumpkin. Let it cool, and scoop the wonderful orange pumpkin out of the skin or shell.

I saw this recipe at GingerLemonGirl’s blog, and knew it was going to be on my “must try” list. These muffins were great! They had a wonderful texture, were moist, and the flavour was wonderful! I will definitely keep this recipe handy for our next pumpkin harvest. :)

16 Responses to Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

1. katskitchen November 4, 2008 at 1:28 pm #

I love baking with pumpkin also these days! I don’t go as far as making my own pumpkin puree yet, but want to try it sometime! It doesn’t sound too difficult. Can you tell a big difference from when you used canned puree in baked goods?

2. Clumbsy Cookie November 4, 2008 at 2:10 pm #

Great pumpkin carving skills! And the muffins look great too!

3. Kevin November 4, 2008 at 7:59 pm #

Nice pumpkins! I like the pumpkin and chocolate combo in these muffins.

4. Jeanine November 6, 2008 at 10:19 am #

Katskitchen, I have rarely used canned pumpkin, so I'm not sure of the difference, sorry!

Clumbsy, Thanks! We had fun carving our pumpkins. So many great free templates available online!

Kevin, I agree, anything pumpkin & chocolate is an automatic winner. :)

5. Alexa November 10, 2008 at 11:34 am #

Awesome pumpkins… These muffins sound delicious.

6. Anonymous November 11, 2008 at 1:02 pm #

The muffins look delicious, but unless I’m missing something, it appears that the wet ingredients aren’t listed. Can you double check, because I’d love to make these for fall mornings. Thanks much!

7. Jeanine November 11, 2008 at 1:48 pm #

Whoa! How did I forget that? Thank you so much for pointing that out. Sorry about that. Hope you enjoy the muffins! :)

8. Anonymous November 11, 2008 at 7:35 pm #

Thanks for the update. Can’t wait to try them and share them with my mom. I love, love, love your recipes!

9. Courtney Maida October 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm #

Just made these and put a quick choc. glaze on them and they were WONDERFUL!! =)

10. Jeanine October 5, 2010 at 11:10 am #

Mmm…chocolate glaze…that is a GREAT idea! Glad that you're enjoying them. :)

11. Teresa April 1, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

These are delicious !!! Do you happen to have a recipe for blueberry muffins — my GF boy has been craving them ?

12. Kimberly October 21, 2012 at 8:33 am #

Jeanine,
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this recipe!!! I am so thankful to have found it! One of my all time favorite recipes (prior to eating GF) was a pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe. In the past, I have either skipped making them all together (or, I have cheated and made the real deal! I am not Celiac, but intolerant, but I know it still wasn’t good for me!) These muffins taste as wonderful as my old recipe I used to make! Again, THANK YOU for sharing. People such as yourself are so amazing. I can’t even get my pantry organized, let alone, CREATE my own recipes and then share them with others!! Bravo!!

13. Terri October 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Just finished making these muffins and they are so yummy! Thank you for sharing!

14. Andrea G November 27, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

I made these today and they tasted wonderful! I didn’t have millet flour so I used almond meal instead. Worked well.
    I am so happy that my sister-in-law, Nancy Neufeld, introduced me to your blog. She’s from your neck of the woods. :)