With all the holiday parties coming up, I thought you might want to give this Amazingly Good Eggnog recipe a try. I’ve never made eggnog before, but do enjoy it from the store. This eggnog was really good, just I think I did a tad too much nutmeg (although my husband disagrees, he loves it!).
This recipe does use cooked eggs, so there is no fear of getting sick from raw eggs. The amount of rum can be adjusted according to your taste. I easily halved the recipe, since it wasn’t for a party, just ourselves. Remember to be responsible when drinking!
- 4 cups milk
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light rum (I used dark rum without a problem)
- 4 cups light cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, light cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.