I’m sure we’re all familiar with the broccoli & cauliflower salad that sometimes has bacon or raisins in it. This recipe is similar to those recipes, but I think it is bumped up a notch. The dressing is cooked, but don’t let that stop you from making it. It is a little bit more work, but the dressing is SO delicious, you won’t regret it! Trust me! The apple adds a nice sweet crunch to the mix as well. I know that I’ll be making this salad again, everyone really enjoyed it.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 8 slices bacon, cooked & chopped (I omitted this)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup slivered toasted almonds
- 2 apples, cubed (or 1 tin mandarin oranges, drained)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped fine (optional)
To make Dressing:
In a saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar, cornstarch and dry mustard. Add vinegar and water. Cook slowly until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in mayonnaise Cool.
To make Salad:
Marinate broccoli and cauliflower in dressing for several hours. Add remaining ingredients and toss well.