A friend I know has a serious thing for chocolate cake. Let me rephrase that…chocolate cake with lots of icing. Although these little cake-in-a-mug desserts do not have icing on them, they were pretty good topped with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
These Gluten Free Chocolate Cake in a Mug did bubble over a bit when baking, but since I had a saucer under the cup, it wasn’t a problem. No cake actually reached the bottom of the mug, so the plate was still clean. The cake does rise up a lot when baking, and then falls once you take it out of the microwave. I am wondering if adding baking soda or baking powder would make a difference…anyone know??
This cake does make enough to serve two people (only if you want to share), and only takes 5 minutes to make. Why not mix up a mug full and share it with your honey for Valentine’s Day. I think it’d be cute topped with some whipped cream and cinnamon as well.
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum (optional, I left it out)
- 3-4 tablespoons granulated sugar (depends on how sweet you want it)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp instant coffee powder (optional, I did this, and YUM! Mocha!)
- In a mug, add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add egg, mix thoroughly.
- Add milk, oil and vanilla, mix again.
- Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 minutes in the microwave. Cake will rise over the top of the mug.