Gluten Free Keilke or Vereniki Dough

Gluten-free Keilke (hand cut pasta) or Vereniki (perogy) Dough | The Baking Beauties

When I saw this recipe for Gluten Free Keilke or Vereniki  Dough posted over at Mennonite Girls Can Cook, I knew it was going to be on my MUST TRY list! And boy, I have not been disappointed. Although I have not used the dough for perogies yet, we have loved the noodles with some cream gravy & onions…yum! After going gluten-free, I thought that the perogies & keilke were off the list for life, but that wasn’t the case at all. Thank you, Julie, for the great recipe!! The dough rolls out and cuts fabulously, and when they cook up, they separate nicely. Very impressed! We’ve started making a triple batch of this recipe, so there would be enough for lots of leftovers too, because fried up the next day, they taste fantastic! This Mennonite girl is happy. :)

To get the full recipe, visit The Mennonite Girls Can Cook.

, ,

15 Responses to Gluten Free Keilke or Vereniki Dough

1. Susan February 3, 2009 at 9:28 am #

Good job Jeanine..you certainly are doing a good job in food prep. You are not missing any kind of food that you enjoy. Great pic..makes me hungry for homemade noodles.

2. betty r February 3, 2009 at 1:06 pm #

Oh my Jeanine now I am hungry for noodles too..how far again to your house?? lol
    Julie does a great job of submitting gluten free recipes on our blog.

3. Jeanine February 3, 2009 at 1:15 pm #

Seeing that pic makes me hungry for them too, Betty. :)
    How far?? Well, just over the river & through the woods! lol
    And Julie does an AMAZING job with GF recipes! Love it!

4. Maureen "Hold The Gluten" February 3, 2009 at 2:19 pm #

Holy moly!!! Between yesterday and today’s posts, I am in need for some pierogi goodness right away!!! Um, what time is dinner tonight?! :)

5. Barb R February 10, 2009 at 9:49 pm #

Hi Jeanine,

After complaining about GF bread, I tried this recipe and have to say its the best one yet. My bread was flat on top, maybe because I had to substitute some ing. I can’t do dairy so I used rice milk instead of the water and left out the skim milk powder. I also subbed honey for the sugar, and used traditional yeast because that was what I had. My whole family enjoyed it!

6. Anonymous April 24, 2009 at 6:20 pm #

Love the new look. Surprise!! I had some cottage with MALTODEXTRIN and had a reaction. The carton was labled gluten-free but it seems some people aren’t up on that. I did e-mail the distributers. Margaret

7. Katia September 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

Jeanine, is there a dairy free version for this receipie?

8. Katia September 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Will that receipe work for vareniki you think ?

9. Amanda September 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

I tried to make these perogies but the dough was incredibly sticky. I could barely knead it because the dough just stuck to my hands and adding more tapioca flour didn’t see to help. What did I do wrong? Are you supposed to chill the dough first?

10. Senta January 30, 2013 at 11:34 pm #

I would really like to make these but cannot find cream style cottage cheese. Is there a substitute or could I blend small curd? I live on the west coast, maybe a regional thing? Thanks.

• Jeanine January 31, 2013 at 7:12 am #

Hmm…I’m not sure! The gal that created this recipe also lives on the west coast, so that shouldn’t be a problem. Any creamy cottage cheese should work, just not the very dry cottage cheese.

• Robin March 21, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

You could try adding a little heavy cream to dry cottage cheese. I have used that as a sub for other recipes using creamed cottage cheese with good results.