Well, thankfully our electricity was on all night, and we woke up to a nice warm house. Thank goodness for our Manitoba Hydro employees! Working all hours in crazy weather to get everyone up and running again. I know there were some without power longer than we were, but I sure hope everyone has electricity again this morning!
Today’s recipe is another one submitted by my Mom. It is for a Sweet & Sour Pork. My family isn’t into eating pork, so I have very few pork recipes on this blog. If you’ve been looking for one…enjoy this one!
- 1 lb boneless pork, fat removed
- 1 large red or green pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- Brown pork, which has been cut into bite size pieces, in 1 Tbsp oil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook carrots, pepper, mushrooms and garlic in remaining oil.
- Mix together vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce and 1 cup chicken broth. Blend together. Bring to a boil.
- Blend together remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth and 2 Tbsp cornstarch. Slowly add to brown sugar mixture and boil till thickened.
- Add pork to vegetable mixture and pour sauce over and simmer for 15 minutes.
NOTE: Very good served over Chinese noodles or rice. May be made ahead of time and reheated, its just as good warmed up. Sauce may also be used over ribs.