It is another dark, rainy, windy, cold day here in Manitoba. I know…you’re jealous, right?? Come on, admit it. OK, I don’t even want to be here right now. As the long weekend approaches, we’re really hoping that the temperatures will rise a bit. The camper is being loaded, the kids are excited, and we’re all looking forward to getting out there for a few days. I’m positive that no matter what the weather is, we’ll have a great time! What does your family do for the long weekend?
If you’re looking for a quick simple treat to whip up for a BBQ or get-together, give these gluten-free Chocolate Oatmeal Chews a try. As long as you can tolerate gluten-free oats, there is a whole new world of desserts and treats that you can still enjoy. This is one of them.
This recipe was given to me by my sister-in-law to switch over to “de-glutenize” it. Quite a tasty square, actually.
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup featherlight flour mix (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free quick cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mix well.
- Set aside 1 1/2 cups of mixture. Press remainder on greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Sprinkle marshmallows and chocolate chips and crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes.
- Cool & cut into squares.