Dandelion Syrup

Make your own Dandelion Syrup | The Baking Beauties

Hello, Readers! Wow, what a busy few weeks it’s been! I hope you guys are all enjoying the summer, and that everyone enjoyed a great Canada Day or Independence Day, or even a Saturday if none of the above apply to you. :) We attempted a camping trip this past weekend, which did not go well. The first day there our youngest woke up with a fever & wasn’t feeling well. I drove the 200 km back home with him. The next day, he was begging to go back to the campsite, so another 200 km back to the campground, where we’d left the rest of the family. Then back home the next day…it wasn’t the best camping trip we’ve ever had, that’s for sure. But I’m sure it will be memorable, and I guess that’s what counts.

We are also preparing our house to try to sell it. My husband got a new job, and it is further away. He is spending 3 hours per day in the car right now, and that’s just too much for us. With school out, we figured it would be the perfect time to move. However, after living here for the past 11 years, we’ve pretty much accumulated stuff in every nook & cranny this 2,300 sq ft has! So, that is where my mind has been lately. I have still been doing some cooking & baking, but the other day I had 2 BAD flops in one morning. It happens to all of us, huh? :)

Anyways, that’s where I’ve been lately, I hope that you all are doing well & enjoying browsing through some of the older recipes while I’ve been away. I made this syrup a while ago already. Our yard is no longer covered in the yellow flowers, now it’s onto the pretty small flowers of clover already. However, I know we’ll be having the yellow bloom one more time before the fall comes, so I will share this recipe with you anyway. This syrup was actually really quite delicious. It had a bit of an earthy flavour to it. My 3 year old loves it on his pancakes. I’ve been told it tastes similar to dandelion honey. If you have a pesticide free field of yellow, give this recipe a try!

Dandelion Syrup
Author:

Ingredients
  • 250 pesticide free dandelion tops (give or take a few)
  • 1 lemon
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 pounds granulated sugar
Instructions
  1. Put the dandelion tops in 4 cups water, bring the water to a boil then cover and simmer for an hour. Let cool and place in the refrigerator overnight for the dandelions to continue to steep in the water.
  2. The next day strain the tops from the water. Mix the water with 2 lbs of sugar and the freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon. Simmer for about 2 hours, until the water evaporates.
  3. After 2 hours, a froth should form on the surface of the syrup. Take the syrup off of the heat and let cool. It should thicken as it cools.
Notes

12 Responses to Dandelion Syrup

1. Sophie July 6, 2009 at 8:39 am #

Good luck on finding a new home, how fun! I admire your hubby for being able to stand that long drive! My goodness. Glad you all had a fun camping trip and that your son's doing better.

Now, I knew I had to check this out when it came up on my blogger feed. The name sounds intensely delicious and it looks so good!

2. Colleen July 6, 2009 at 9:41 am #

Oh, Jeanine — I wish you the best as you try to get the house ready to sell! What a crazy adventure that will be!

And thanks for the recipe. Sometimes we joke that our neighbor cultivates dandelions and our yard inevitably joins in on the fun. Maybe now something tasty can come out of that field of yellow.

Enjoy your summertime, my friend! After a LONG and WET June, we are hoping for summer and sunshine here in Maine…

3. betty r July 6, 2009 at 1:49 pm #

Dandelion syrup? It does look very good Jeanine although I've never tried it.
    The best to you on your move and esp the getting ready for it!!

4. Jeanine July 6, 2009 at 2:28 pm #

Sophie, the drive is rough, so the house hunting is being done kinda quickly. Plus, it's summer, perfect time to change schools. :)

Colleen, loved that you found plans for an Ark. Sure hope you don't have to use them anytime soon!! Get the kids out there picking dandelions, I even found a recipe for dandelion cookies (same source as the syrup recipe).

Betty, thanks for the well wishes. I've made pretty good progress today, have one pile for garbage, another for thrift store, and everything else is getting tidied up. And we're looking at coming to your side of the river, so maybe you'll have to come for coffee then! ;)

5. Katy July 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm #

Yum! What a fun idea. I've never heard of dandelion syrup. I've had dandelion wine and it was surprisingly good. Best of luck with the house!

6. Amy Green July 6, 2009 at 10:50 pm #

This is a new food for me but it looks yummy. And, yes, your dandelion picker is adorable. :)

7. Iris July 7, 2009 at 10:23 pm #

Are you moving in my direction???
    We just moved too. Just a couple of miles away from our last house, and into a rental while we build our new house close by (which means I get to move again in about 6 months). I don't enjoy moving but it sure is nice to have the motivation to go through all of our "stuff" and get rid of what we don't need after all.
    All the best as you move and look for a new place.

8. Jeanine July 7, 2009 at 10:34 pm #

Hey Iris, send me an email, OK? I can't find your address anymore. :(

9. Eliana July 10, 2009 at 2:54 pm #

This syrup sounds delicious. Now I want to find some dandelion to make it.

10. The Gluten-free 'Dish' July 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm #

This is new to me! I have never heard of dandelion syrup and I find it a very interesting combination. Dandelion is wonderful for detoxification so I keep thinking about this recipe even though I don't eat sugars. You have got my brain thinking about this!

11. CinnamonQuill July 17, 2009 at 12:32 pm #

Wow; how cool! I wonder if I'll be able to find dandelions at the farmer's market again later in the season. This would be so unique to make!

12. mothersson2002 May 12, 2010 at 10:35 am #

I made this so very elicious syrup last year with white organic sugar. I wonder if anyone has made it with stevia or partial stevia.. Because less steiva is use as an equivalent to traditional sugar, would it produce a syrup?