Gluten-free Burrito Pie
Author: Jeanine Friesen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) jar taco sauce (I had homemade sauce on hand)
- 1 cup salsa (pick the amount of heat you want)
- 2-3 tablespoons gluten-free taco seasoning
- 1 (16 oz) can refried beans
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 9 ounces shredded Colby Cheese (I just had cheddar, worked great)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes more. Drain any excess fat, if desired. Mix in the diced tomato, taco sauce, salsa, and taco seasoning. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Spread half the meat mixture on the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking pan. Spread some refried beans onto each corn tortilla. Place on top of meat mixture, bean side down. Cut the tortillas to fit the pan and cover the meat mixture, if necessary.
- Sprinkle with some cheese, top with remaining meat mixture. Repeat layer of bean smothered corn tortillas.
- At this point, I spread a thin layer of salsa on top of the corn tortillas, because I didn’t want them to dry out when baking. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil & bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Remove foil & broil until cheese is bubbling & brown. Top with your favorite toppings, like lettuce, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, onion greens, black olives, etc.