I have a confession. For the first 30ish years of my life, I was a picky eater. We’re talking no onions. No peppers. No mushrooms. And definitely not any different kinds of cheeses & veggies. Phew…now I feel better.
The good news is, I made a choice to try new things, new flavours, and new textures. It doesn’t mean I like them all, but at least I’m willing to try. The other day, I had a salad with goat cheese on it. I don’t think I’ve ever had goat cheese before, but boy, was it ever good! It definitely won’t be the last time, I will have to look for ways to incorporate that into a dish.
I like to have my kids try new things too. They don’t have to like it, but they have to try it. My daughter doesn’t like rice, and she loved these Delicious Stuffed Peppers, well, the filling for them, she wasn’t a fan of the pepper itself. But at least she tried it. So proud of her.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white & wild rice mixture (recipe calls for Arborio, but I didn't have any at home)
- 2 green bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet (or line with parchment paper, I love using parchment paper).
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the peppers cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Roast 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender and skin starts to turn brown.
- While the peppers are roasting, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onions, basil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in oil for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomato, and cook for 5 minutes. Spoon in the cooked rice and stir until heated through. Remove from heat, mix in the feta cheese, and spoon the mixture into the pepper halves.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.