Gluten Free Ricotta Lemon Pancakes

Gluten-free Lemon Ricotta Pancakes | The Baking Beauties
Let me start off with the truth. I was skeptical. Very, very skeptical. I had so much doubt, I was planning a back up supper, just in case (yes, we had them for supper, we enjoy “breakfast for supper” days). While making these Gluten-free Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, and trying to think up our back-up supper, I thought to myself….if Carol felt confident enough to make these on TV, they have to be nearly foolproof. She was right…the kids gobbled their pancakes down. Did I tell you I had doubt? Well, after the kids inhaled them quicker than I could make them, my doubts were gone. Vanished. No need to have a back up plan for supper anymore. :) So, if you’ve got doubts, just fugheddaboudit, they’ll turn out just fine!

5.0 from 2 reviews
Gluten Free Ricotta Lemon Pancakes
Author:

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces Ricotta cheese - room temperature
  • 4 large eggs - separated
  • zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
  • pinch of salt
Yep...that's it. How simple is that?
Instructions
  1. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  2. In a separate bowl, beat the Ricotta cheese until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg yolks, lemon zest and salt, and continue beating until it is very smooth and fluffy.
  3. Take a scoop of the egg whites, and mix it into the Ricotta mixture to lighten the mixture a bit. Then fold in the remaining egg whites.
  4. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat until hot, then lightly grease the pan with oil (I use a dot of oil, and wipe it around the pan with a paper towel).
  5. Scoop about 1/3 cup of the mixture onto the griddle for each pancake. The batter will be very fluffy, so you will have to push it down slightly to flatten it out a bit.
  6. Cook over medium heat until browned on the bottom and the batter is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Yes, it does take longer than "normal" pancakes, but they will not flip properly if you don't give it enough time. Flip over and cook until the pancakes feel firm to the touch, which is another 1-2 minutes.
Notes
These pancakes are very light and souffle-like and will deflate slightly if they sit for very long but will still be delicious.
Source: Simply Gluten-Free

18 Responses to Gluten Free Ricotta Lemon Pancakes

1. Tasty Eats At Home February 1, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

See, I've oooohed and aaaahed over the idea of these, but I wonder: do they taste or feel like ricotta? Cause that would be my worry – my husband is anti-ricotta.

• Ann March 5, 2014 at 7:15 am #

I made these last night and I can report that they do not taste like ricotta cheese. They are like little lemony pillows of fluff. I admit I changed them slightly by adding about 1/2 tsp. vanilla and some sweetener. I ate them with some sugar-free jam. Next time around (and there will be a next time), I’ll have them with some sugar-free syrup, since for me I need that extra sweetness to make a pancake a pancake.

• Jeanine Friesen March 7, 2014 at 11:49 am #

Thanks for sharing, Ann, I think those changes sound pleasant. And now you have me wanting to eat these with some blueberry jam. Mmm…

2. Jeanine February 1, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

Ha, at least I'm not the only one that was hesitant to try them. :) I bought a container of Ricotta only because it was half price, so figured…now's a good time to try them! And they do not have any ricotta flavour/texture (none that I noticed, at least). I think because you beat it before & after adding the eggs, it breaks them down nicely.

3. GF Gidget February 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm #

Pancakes are everywhere lately. These look delicious!

4. Sophie February 2, 2010 at 10:17 am #

Ricotta! I am so missing out on its yumminess, it's usually only used in pasta dishes at my place… but obviously I'm gonna need to change that :).

5. Joy Sweet Joy February 2, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

These are beautiful!! Not a bad idea for something different for dinner. Breakfast for dinner is back!! :)

6. Christie @ Honoring Health February 3, 2010 at 2:18 pm #

O.my.yum!

7. Eliana February 11, 2010 at 3:41 pm #

Lemon pancakes are such a treat! I love that they look just like regular/plain ones and when you bite into them you are plesantly surprised.

8. Julia January 27, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

I tried these today and I was pretty disappointed. They simple did not form into a cake. I cooked for 5 minutes on medium on a pretty reliable electric grilled, and they folded into a puddle on my spatula. The next batch I waited 8 minutes, same deal. The third batch I let go for over ten minutes, and while I was able to get part of them to flip, they tore into a few pieces, and the side that had been against the skillet was burned quite a bit, it had the flavor and texture of a burned omelet. We ended up eating none, and I was disappointed to have wasted the eggs and the ricotta. I added a packet of truvia and about a 1/4tsp of vanilla, maybe that was my detriment? Nonetheless, I just wanted to offer my experience! I might try again in a smaller batch and add some kind of almond or coconut flour? They look like they’d be beautiful and delicious!

• Jeanine January 31, 2013 at 7:25 am #

Is it possible that your egg whites weren’t beaten enough, or even over beaten? They can be a tricky thing to get just right. Sorry to hear they didn’t work well for you, they were really quite delicious.

9. Grace Gage June 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm #

These look great! How many pancakes does one recipe make?

• Jeanine Friesen June 7, 2013 at 7:19 am #

I can’t remember, Grace, sorry! I know it was enough for my family of 4 for dinner though.

10. Johnetta January 13, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

I tried these this morning. I cooked them until they were quite a bit darker than your picture so that I could flip them easily. I also added a bit of honey to the egg yolk/ricotta mixture. They were so, so surprisingly good. Very light, fluffy, almost buttery flavor. I can’t taste the ricotta. I say surprisingly good because there are so few ingredients. Such a treat with no flour-amazing! Thank you! These will be a regular treat for breakfast.

• Jeanine Friesen January 14, 2014 at 7:18 am #

I felt the same way you did when I made these, Johnetta! I thought, how could so few ingredients actually make pancakes – but, they do! And you’re right, they are delicious! :)

11. Dutchie July 16, 2014 at 10:47 am #

Hello,

Are the yolks mandatory,or could you also leave the out or maybe just use one?
    Also does it only work with ricotta or could you also perhaps use quark?(i think its called French soft curd cheese? Or maybe greek yoghurt instead?)
    I dont tolerate any flours well,so this recipe seems devine,but ricotta is expensive here and quark is higher in protein.:)

P.s i do have coconutflour but havent succeeded at making something appetizing with it,it always ends up in the trash.;) and my finances dont allow for such disasters

1. Gluten-Free Yeast Pancakes | The Baking Beauties - August 9, 2011

[…] Gluten-free Gingerbread Pancakes Gluten-free Buttermilk Pancakes Gluten-free Pumpkin Pancakes Gluten-free Ricotta Lemon Pancakes This entry was posted in Breads, Yeast Bread. Bookmark the permalink. ← Gluten-Free […]

2. Gluten-free Lemon Meringue Cupcakes | The Baking Beauties - August 16, 2011