Hello, everyone!! I hope you’ve all been having a fantastic summer. I’ve been working very hard on not saying “I’m Sorry” for the lack of posts this summer. I’ve ready many blogs where each post is started with “I’m sorry for not posting more”, and I’m trying really hard to not feel guilty about the number of posts that I’ve posted this summer. I will try to post more regularly in fall, but we’ll see what fall brings, and cross that bridge when we get there.
As for us, our summer has been a full, busy, enjoyable summer so far. In 2 weeks, school starts here, and I’m really not ready to send the kids (yes, both of them, the Boy starts school this fall). They have both played together so well this summer, there have been very few arguments or time-outs in our house this summer, and it has been fantastic!
We’ve gone camping quite often, hiked a lot (nearly 30 km in total, with the longest hike being 8km, and both kids walked the whole thing), the Girl went to Bible camp this summer for 1 night, and is asking for a whole week next year. We’ve visited museums and the zoo. We’ve done slushies & the slip’n'slide. Overall, it has been a fantastic summer so far! I hope you guys are going to enjoy the last few weeks before the cooler fall air returns, and we all start baking again.
Since I had some zucchini on hand, I decided to do some baking now already. This moist blueberry & zucchini bread is fantastic! I leave the skin on my zucchini, but if you peel it, your children will never even know they are eating veggies in this sweet loaf. Mine gobbled up 2 thick slices while it was still warm. That must count as a serving of veggies, right??
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil (you could do 1/2 cup oil & 1/2 cup apple sauce if you’d want to cut down on fat)
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 3 cups gluten-free flour blend (see note)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 5″x9″ bread pans (I used 2 silicone bread pans, so I did not grease them).
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, xanthan gum, guar gum, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir together to blend.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Stir in the flour mixture. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared pans.
- Bake 55-60 minutes (longer if you used frozen berries) in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans before turning out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before cutting (if you can resist).
Note: The flour blend I use is 4 cups of brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cup potato starch and 2/3 cup tapioca starch. Combine in large zipper bag. Shake to mix.
Source: Based on a recipe from AllRecipes.com