Lookie here…another post! This Gluten Free Retro Jello Cake was so simple to put together, and I promised to post it a few weeks ago (sorry about the delay…life, huh?). Here it is…wanna know a secret? I used a cake mix. Yep, first time every, I used a gluten free cake mix. Not just any though, this is actually Bulk Barn’s Gluten Free Vanilla Cake mix.
I admit, I had my doubts. BIG doubts. I never trust mixes, they usually disappoint. However, in this case, it ends up I had no reason to fear. This cake turned out GREAT! A few simple additions, and we had my Mom’s birthday cake!
- 1 vanilla cake mix (enough to make one 9×13-inch cake); I used Bulk Barn’s Vanilla Cake mix with great success.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 small package cherry flavoured Jello
- 1 tub Cool Whip
- Bake vanilla cake according to package directions.
- Once you have removed the cake from the oven, take a fork or skewer and poke the entire cake full of little holes.
- In a measuring cup, mix the boiling water and Jello mix. Once Jello is dissolved, slowly pour over the cake, being sure to get the entire cake covered.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Before serving, spread the Cool Whip over the top of the cake. Decorate with fun sprinkles if you’re serving to the kiddos, they love the sprinkles.