Gluten Free Retro Jello Cake

Gluten-free Retro Jello Cake | The Baking Beauties

Lookie here…another post! ;) This Gluten Free Retro Jello Cake was so simple to put together, and I promised to post it a few weeks ago (sorry about the delay…life, huh?). Here it is…wanna know a secret? I used a cake mix. Yep, first time every, I used a gluten free cake mix. Not just any though, this is actually Bulk Barn’s Gluten Free Vanilla Cake mix.

I admit, I had my doubts. BIG doubts. I never trust mixes, they usually disappoint. However, in this case, it ends up I had no reason to fear. This cake turned out GREAT! A few simple additions, and we had my Mom’s birthday cake!

Gluten Free Retro Jello Cake
Author:

Ingredients
  • 1 vanilla cake mix (enough to make one 9x13-inch cake); I used Bulk Barn's Vanilla Cake mix with great success.
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 small package cherry flavoured Jello
  • 1 tub Cool Whip
Instructions
  1. Bake vanilla cake according to package directions.
  2. Once you have removed the cake from the oven, take a fork or skewer and poke the entire cake full of little holes.
  3. In a measuring cup, mix the boiling water and Jello mix. Once Jello is dissolved, slowly pour over the cake, being sure to get the entire cake covered.
  4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
  5. Before serving, spread the Cool Whip over the top of the cake. Decorate with fun sprinkles if you're serving to the kiddos, they love the sprinkles. :)

, ,

7 Responses to Gluten Free Retro Jello Cake

1. Susan August 26, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

The cake was great and very tasty..Thanks for baking me a bday cake…and I like sprinkles too :0)

2. Tasty Eats At Home August 27, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

Those sprinkles made me smile. Hooray for cake!

3. Anonymous August 27, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

Lovely idea!! I was disappointed with Betty Crockers mix but this would fix the dryness. However I cannot have the artificial flovors and some cannot have the sugar. I am solving the problem by thickening fruit juices with corn starch, rice flour or tapioca. Thanks. ~ Margaret

4. Inky August 28, 2010 at 6:12 am #

I am going to try this this weekend for my future daughter in law who has celiac. She cannot have eggs so I will have to check the package and go from there.

I used to make this cake for my kids at xmas as I would use red jello for one half and gree for the other and cover the whole cake in whipped cream.. I have also done in on a angel food cake and poured both colors , They called it rainbow cake..
    Love your blog.

5. Lisa August 28, 2010 at 11:29 am #

What a timely post, thanks for posting. Every pantry needs a vanilla/white cake mix inside it. My birthday is coming up and I can't wait to bake this.

I'm with TEaH, hooray for cake with sprinkles! :-)

6. Eliana September 2, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

Hmmm – this looks perfect. I especially love the sprinkles.

7. Anonymous September 5, 2010 at 12:02 am #

I used this recipe today and used raspberry jello .. loved it thanks for posting it!