These. Cookies. Are. Gluten. Free.
There, I said it. But, if you don’t tell anyone, they would NEVER know. Seriously!
These cookies are the based on the recipe for the cookies that I’ve been making my husband (and children, since) for the past 12 years. After going gluten free, I’d make them for the rest of the family to enjoy, while desperately seeking a “tried and true” gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Let me tell you…every single gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe failed. None could live up to the standards that the old stand-by recipe had set. None were good enough. A lot did not contain oatmeal (chocolate chip cookies need oatmeal, in my opinion). Some were just greasy little flat puddles by the time they baked, even with refrigeration. Not one of those cookies could hold a candle to the families favorite cookies. Until now.
My daughter started grade 3 on Wednesday (eek! How’d that happen??). I wanted to have fresh, warm chocolate chip cookies for her when she got off the bus. Kind of like a nice “welcome home”. I’ve baked these gluten free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies a few times, so there was no experimenting necessary when I decided to bake these for her. She’s not gluten free (yet?). My son’s not gluten free. My husband isn’t gluten free either. I am. And because of me, this whole batch of cookies had to be gluten free. I did not want to be left out, you see.
I’ve fed these cookies to family, friends, neighbor kids, you name it, and no one can tell the difference between these, and “regular” chocolate chip cookies. They are that good. Seriously. If you can tolerate oats, try them, you won’t be disappointed!
Now, if you will excuse me…I’ve got a cuppa coffee & a cookie waiting for me. Gotta grab one now, there aren’t many left! Get your butter out now, so it can soften while you read & print the recipe.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix (see Note) OR 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, and 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups certified gluten free quick-cook oats
- 2 cups gluten free chocolate chips (or 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup plain M&M's)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the softened margarine and the brown sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Mix until blended. Stir in vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and baking soda. Stir to blend.
- Stir dry ingredients into margarine/sugar mixture.
- Add the rolled oats and chocolate chips, and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Using a cookie scoop (or two tablespoons), drop cookies onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 11-12 minutes, depending on your oven. You want them to be slightly browned around the outside, but still slightly moist in the middle.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Cool completely, then store in an airtight container.