Moroccan Chicken and Lentils
Author: Jeanine Friesen
- 2 cans of lentils, drained & rinsed (or 1 lb dried brown lentils, cooked according to package instructions)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse lentils with hot water, drain well and place in a large bowl.
- Whisk 1 cup olive oil, vinegar, 2 Tbsp cumin, 2 Tbsp chili powder, garlic and 1 tsp salt in a large measuring cup. Pour 1 cup dressing over lentils and toss. Cool.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onion; saute until dark brown and soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and saute for 2 more minutes. Add 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp cumin, 2 Tbsp chili powder, and cinnamon. Saute until chicken is cooked through, about 3 more minutes.
- Arrange lentils on a large platter. Place sliced chicken on top of lentils. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- This dish can be made 2 hours ahead, and you can leave it at room temperature. I think I would refrigerate it, due to the chicken. It would be great to take on a picnic though, or for a pot luck.