These tomatoes are stuffed with the super healthy, gluten-free, grain-like seed called quinoa. Most of the flavour comes from using the Garlic and Herb flavoured cream cheese. Super simple to make, yet impressive looking and most importantly, delicious! This dish goes great with steak, chicken, or fish.
Creamy Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes
Author: Jeanine Friesen
Super simple to make, yet impressive looking and most importantly, delicious! This dish goes great with steak, chicken, or fish.
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed & drained if not pre-rinsed)
- 2 cup gluten-free chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 6 medium tomatoes, tops removed and hollowed out
- 2/3 cup Herb & Garlic Cream Cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- In a medium size sauce pan, combine quinoa, chicken stock, and dried minced onion.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, turn heat down to low and simmer quinoa for about 20 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, using a sharp knife, carefully remove the tops from your tomatoes. With a small spoon, scrape out the inside of the tomato, making sure to leave the outside of the tomato intact.
- Lightly season the inside of the tomato with salt & pepper, and place tomato, upside down, on a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack, or paper towels. This will allow excess moisture to run out of the tomatoes until they are ready to stuff.
- Once the quinoa is fully cooked, remove from heat and stir in fresh chopped parsley, and Herb and Garlic tub Cream Cheese. Stir to combine.
- Spoon quinoa/cream cheese mixture into the hollowed out tomatoes, and place in oven-safe baking dish. If you like, you can place the top of the tomato, that you removed before hollowing the tomato, on top of the quinoa/cream cheese mixture.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh parsley. Serve immediately.