Creamy Asparagus Soup
Author: Jeanine Friesen
- 1 lb green asparagus
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup light sour cream or heavy cream
- 1/4 taspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cut tips from asparagus, reserve for garnish.
- Cut remaining asparagus into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Cook onion in olive oil in a 4-quart heavy bottom pot over medium-low heat, stirring, until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender (or use an immersion blender, my choice) until smooth. Return soup to pan.
- Stir in sour cream. Season with salt & pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in butter.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with asparagus tips.