I made this Waldorf Inspired Quinoa Salad for supper one day while we were having BBQ beef ring and potato salad, it was like summer. So great to get some of those lighter, make-ahead-salad meals in, now that the weather is finally warming up. This salad was fantastic the up until the 3rd day, and then it was gone. But, the apples did not brown, the yogurt dressing did not get runny, it was as good on day 3 as it was on the first day. I think it would be perfect for the summertime picnics that are are going to be happening in the upcoming months.
I also love that this recipe takes quinoa to the sweeter side, as opposed to the savoury. It gave me a lot of great ideas for either breakfasts or desserts, that I can not wait to try.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed and drained
- 1 large red apple, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- Place water, apple juice, cinnamon and quinoa in medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Cool, cover and refrigerate quinoa for at least one hour.
- Add diced apple, celery, cranberries and walnuts to cooled quinoa. Mix well. Fold in the yogurt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Other sweet quinoa recipes you might want to try:
- Baked Quinoa Pudding with Raisins by Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
- Warm and Nutty Cinnamon Quinoa by 101 Cookbooks
- Vegan Mango Quinoa Salad by Savvy Vegetarian
- Breakfast Quinoa by Happy Healthy Mama
I also wanted to say THANK YOU for all the wonderful Birthday wishes yesterday. So happy to have you all share my day with me. I can not believe that only one person fessed up to getting perms, and NO ONE had their Mom do it? Seriously? Was I the only one? Wow, I may need to ponder that for a while, and then figure out how to get even with my Mom.
Also, thanks to everyone that has been joining me on Facebook and Twitter. Since we hit over 1,000 Fabulous Facebook Fans, there will indeed be some giveaways going on next week. Be sure to stay tuned for that, you don’t want to miss the posts next week. Have a great weekend, everyone!