Served along with some french fries & creamy coleslaw, this was a supper we all enjoyed immensely. Simple enough to make at home, and totally gluten-free.
- enough oil for deep frying, about 2″ in your pot/fryer
- 8 (4 ounce) cod or tilapia fillets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour, divided (see note)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 lareg egg, beaten
- 12 fl. oz. gluten-free beer
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pot or a deep fryer until 365 degrees F. Rinse fish, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper. Lay fish fillets in 1/2 cup of the gluten-free flour, just to coat it on both sides. Shake off excess.
- Combine 1 cup gluten-free flour, garlic powder, paprika, 2 tsp salt, and 1-2 tsp pepper. Stir egg into dry ingredients. Gradually mix beer until a thin batter is formed. You should be able to see the fish through the batter after it has been dipped.
- Dip fish fillets into batter, then gently drop one at a time into hot oil. Fry fish, turning once, until both sides are a golden brown. Drain on paper towels, and serve while still warm.
Adapted from a recipe at Allrecipes.com