Grilled Stuffed Southwest Beef Burgers
Author: Jeanine Friesen
These burgers have a taco flavoured ground sirloin, stuffed with a cream cheese and jalapeno pepper mixture, and topped with a sour cream and cilantro sauce. Kick up your BBQ’s this summer!
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Miracle Whip
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground sirloin, egg, taco seasoning, bread crumbs and red onion.
- Divide meat mixture into 8 equal portions, forming each portion into a very thin hamburger patty. Place hamburger patties on wax paper lined baking sheet.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and the jalapeno pepper. Spoon 1 Tbsp of mixture onto 4 of the thin hamburger patties. Slightly flatten mixture, but make sure to keep it in the middle of the patty.
- Top each hamburger patty that has the cream cheese mixture on it, with one that does not. Pinch and seal the burger around the outside, and form the hamburger patty with your hands.
- Preheat grill to medium heat, and grill for about 10 minutes per side, flipping once.
- While the burgers are on the barbecue, mix together the sour cream, Miracle Whip, cilantro, lime juice and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Remove burgers from the grill, and serve on a toasted whole wheat bun topped with the sour cream/cilantro mixture. Additional toppings can include fresh tomatoes, avocado slices, onion greens, red onions and black olives. Happy Grilling!