These blondies are full of so many amazing flavours, it’s hard to know where to start. There is chocolate. There is cheesecake. There is Kahlua. And there is also toffee. LOADED. Seriously. But, it’s the weekend. Feel free to bake up a batch and enjoy them with some girlfriends for a movie night, or with the guys for the game (which ever one that is for you), or hey, you can even bake up a batch, put on the flannel jammies, grab a fork and enjoy a piece (or two) all by yourself (I have a feeling these would freeze beautifully, and probably be wonderful straight out of the freezer too).
This recipe is adapted and made it gluten-free from my friend Cindy’s Real Women of Philadelphia entry (you should really click on through and watch her video, she’s so darn cute!). Cindy is also a foodie, and has a blog called Hun, What’s for Dinner? where she has amazing recipes, plus a few giveaways going on right now. I won her last giveaway (woohoo!), so I’ll let you have this one. Go ahead, hop over there to enter. I’ll wait.
Back to the blondies…they are so moist and gooey, loaded with chocolate chips, espresso powder, and toffee bits, with a baked cream cheese layer on top. Ugh, I think Cindy just took all things yummy in her kitchen and jam packed them into this dessert. Wonderfully done, Cindy!
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons espresso powder
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua liquor
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper so that it runs up the sides (making the squares easy to remove from the pan).
- In a bowl, combine the all-purpose gluten-free flour, xanthan gum and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the espresso powder and melted butter. Stir in brown sugar, salt, vanilla and eggs. Add in flour mixture and stir to mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips. With wet hands, press batter into your prepared baking pan. Press into an even layer. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, egg and Kahlua. Whisk until very smooth. Pour over batter in baking dish, and sprinkle top with toffee bits.
- Bake in preheated oven for 38-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes before removing from baking dish to cooling rack. Cut into 12 squares and serve.
Adapted from: Hun, What’s for Dinner?