Welcome to August! Wow, where on earth is the summer going? We’ve been having a fantastic summer so far, I just can’t believe how quickly it is flying by. We will need to do some back-to-school shopping soon, I guess. I love buying the new markers, pencils and supplies for the kids, but this year, I’m just not ready to think about sending them back yet. July went by so quickly though, that if I blink twice, August may be past too.
We have actually been having a beautiful, hot summer this year. Some years, we have a very cool and rainy summer. This year, it is hot and humid, and the rain just isn’t falling much. My garden (of tomatoes, mostly) is still doing well, I have 20 tomato plants, I think, and they are all setting on, I’m just waiting for them to start turning orange. There is nothing as tasty as garden fresh tomatoes. Mmm… Plus, I have a lot of salsa that I need to make this year, since my last year’s tomato crop was a bust, they all started rotting before they turned orange. Very disappointing. So, we will see what this year brings.
Along with the hot weather, comes grilling season. Mainly because no one wants to turn on the stove or be in the kitchen when it is so hot outside. That is where this recipe comes in. I had some fresh corn on the cob at home, and decided to create a Colourful Grilled Corn Salad using grilled corn as the base. DELICIOUS! You can eat it as is, or you can scoop it up with corn chips, the choice is yours. This salad pairs beautifully with grilled steak, chicken, or even fish.
- 6 cobs of corn, shucked and cleaned
- 1 can black (or kidney) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- dash hot sauce
- Grill cleaned corn over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until slightly blackened in areas, allow to cool and cut off corn into a bowl. Add black beans, red pepper red onion, cilantro and jalapeno pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, agave nectar, salt, garlic, cumin, black pepper, chili powder and hot sauce.
- Pour over corn mixture and stir to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least half an hour, or until ready to serve.
When it is summer and hot at your place, do you still use the stove, or is use of it banned until it cools off?