When my Mom or I are asked to bring dessert to a gathering of friends or family, we enjoy bringing a trifle. Usually I stick to a Fresh Fruit Trifle, using a variety of in season fruit, or a sinfully-delicious Chocolate-Chocolate Trifle. However, after seeing a version of this Caramel Apple Trifle on Pinterest, I decided to put my own spin on it and make this perfectly Autumn trifle instead. So delicious! Like, still-tasty-after-3-days delicious. This recipe makes a lot, I would say it would be enough to serve approximately 30 people. But, it is so easy to put together, makes a nice presentation, and can be/should be made in advance, so it is perfect for any group get-together.
This dessert can be made using a gluten-free cake mix, making it a quick dessert to put together too. I opted for a cake from scratch, apple pie filling from scratch, and cooked pudding from a mix. So, a bit of both worlds.
*1 package of cooked butterscotch pudding, cooked according to package directions (the package I used required 3 cups of milk)
*Apple Pie Filling - canned or homemade. Below is the recipe that I used, adapted from Allrecipes.com.
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 8-ounce container whipped topping, defrosted
- Caramel sauce for drizzling over the top of the trifle
- In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with the lemon juice and set aside (this will prevent them from browning).
- In a large saucepan, stir to combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add the water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the apples and return to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover with the lid, and continue cooking for 6-10 minutes, depending on the apples you are using. Stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes before using.
- Cut the cake into 1-inch cubes.
- Arrange a layer of cake cubes along the bottom of a large serving bowl.
- Top the cake with half of the butterscotch pudding.
- Top with nearly half of the chopped pecans.
- Add half of the apple pie filling, spreading it around to cover all of the pudding/nuts.
- Next, spread half of the whipped topping over the apple pie filling.
- Repeat. Cake. Pudding. Pecans (keep 2 Tbsp for sprinkling on top). Appel pie filling. Whipped Topping.
- Sprinkle the remaining pecans on the top of the trifle, and drizzle with some caramel sauce.
- Put trifle together at least 8 hours before serving. This allows the pudding to soak into the cake. Refrigerate until serving.