Soft Gluten-Free Ginger Cookies

Cookie baking continues! Today’s recipe is for soft gluten-free ginger cookies. These cookies are a favorite of my families, and I like that because they are quick, easy & cheap to make. All good things in my books. These cookies do taste better the second day, I think all spicy cookies taste better when they  have had a chance to sit a bit and let the spices do their thing.

38 Responses to Soft Gluten-Free Ginger Cookies

1. sarah December 13, 2011 at 8:54 am #

OOOOOH. I’ve been yearning for a ginger cookie. This looks so good.

• Jeanine December 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Awesome! Perfect timing then. :) Enjoy!

2. Heather Porrill December 13, 2011 at 9:41 am #

My mouth is watering!

• Jeanine December 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

I wish I could trade cookies for fudge. Mmm…. ;)

3. Tamara December 13, 2011 at 9:44 am #

Ooohh, honey! I’m so ready for this cookie!!!!! What a treat! Thanks for posting this, Jeanine.

• Jeanine December 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

You are more than welcome, Tamara! Hope you enjoy them!

4. Wendy December 13, 2011 at 9:49 am #

Are these like ginger snaps? I am looking for a spicy ginger snap cookie!

Thanks,
    Wendy

• Jeanine December 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

These have the same spiciness as a gingersnap, but they don’t have the snap part, they are a soft cookie, not crisp. HTH.

5. Elise December 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

These look delicious! I way prefer soft to crunchy ginger snaps.

• Jeanine December 13, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

Thanks, Elise! I don’t have a preference, as long as they are spicy. :)

6. Diamond December 13, 2011 at 5:23 pm #

I’ve been making our version of this allrecipes cookie for a couple of years. I use a slightly different flour mix and 1 Tablespoon of Orange Juice. It is AMAZING what that touch of orange flavour does to the whole cookie.

I was planning to make them next week, but have now been inspired to make them sooner!

• Jeanine December 13, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

Oh, I just made another batch tonight, and if I had orange juice on hand, I’d add that. Or even some orange zest. I bet that would be fantastic. Thanks for the suggestion!

7. Michelle December 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

This recipe came just in the nick of time. I was so wanting to try some soft molasses cookies. I halved the ginger to be on the milder side, but I think it would have been ok, cuz they weren’t that spicy. Mine didn’t turn out quite as thick or pretty as yours. But, I used butter instead of margarine. I might add a tad more sorghum flour next time to see if I can get the height. I was glad to see the sorghum in this recipe because it seems to thicken my cookies. The end of this batch was chilled a bit longer and they seemed slightly thicker and had more of that beautiful crackle. Yum! Thanks a bunch!

8. Stephanie December 15, 2011 at 9:55 am #

These cookies look so good! I have a question for anyone that wants to answer :-) I’m allergic to nightshades as well as gluten, so I don’t use potato starch and I don’t use corn starch either. That leaves Tapioca and Arrowroot. Arrowroot is a little pricey and too much Tapioca causes baked goods to be too “chewy”. Do you think that i could sub sweet rice flour for the potato starch? Thanks!

• Jeanine December 18, 2011 at 8:02 am #

I would definitely try subbing the sweet rice flour for the potato starch.

9. Elaine DuPlessis December 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm #

Kind of disappointed that they didn’t turn out as expected. The only change I made was I used brown sugar instead of white, just because I prefer brown sugar in a cookie. They went flat and are a thin, crisp/chewy cookie. My husband loves them and they ARE pretty fantastic ~ just not big & soft. I put the dough in the fridge for a couple of hours to be sure the dough wasn’t too warm, so not sure what happened?

• Jeanine December 18, 2011 at 8:04 am #

Sorry they didn’t turn out as hoped, Elaine. Sometimes, cookies are such a problem, between the size of eggs, the temp of your butter, the type of baking sheets, whether you line your sheets with parchment or not, there are so many factors. I hope that you give these cookies another try. The brown sugar will change the texture as well, that may have had something to do with it. Sorry, not much help here. :(

10. Robin December 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

I made these today–they were AWESOME! I used Spectrum shortening because I can’t have dairy. They were exactly right. Thanks so much for this recipe!

• Jeanine December 20, 2011 at 9:51 am #

Wonderful! Glad to hear that it works with the Spectrum shortening as well. :)

11. Melanie December 22, 2011 at 1:08 am #

So glad you posted this! I’ve been nothing but disappointed with the gluten free gingerbread recipes I’ve tried this year and was really needing a successful ginger cookie for my Christmas dessert trays. These were super easy, tasty and smell so yummy. Even after chilling overnight mine came out a bit flat too, but are still awesome. I’ll try a bit more sorghum next time to see if that helps with the loft.

12. Jill December 23, 2011 at 11:51 am #

I made these yesterday and they turned out amazing, by far the best gluten free ginger cookie I have ever made!!!! I really messed up by adding 2 tsp of cinnamon by accident then realizing my mistake but they still tasted amazing.

13. Teresa January 8, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

These are fabulous. This made my GF 16yr old boy in “heaven” for Christmas. Thanks so much for sharing. Mine came out very flat however– what did I do wrong?

• Teresa January 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

ok so now I feel a bit stupid — reading back through the recipe you said not to get the butter to soft or your cookies will be flat — oh yeah think that is what i did. Teach me to read thoroughly next time and not be in such a hurry

• Jeanine January 13, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

No problem, Teresa! I’ve heard of quite a few that had them go flat (but still good). I think cookies are one of the most difficult recipes to convert, there are so many factors (butter temp, baking pans, etc).

14. Teresa January 15, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

Just thought I would share that the dough for this recipe freezes wonderfully. After rolling in sugar placed them all on a cookie sheet and froze them — after freezing them for about three hours put them all in one freezer bag. Pulled them out 2 weeks later placed them on a cookie sheet ( w/ parchment) allowed to come to room temp then baked them as instructed. Yummy, Yummy Yummy and they were not flat !!!!

• Jeanine January 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Interesting! Glad to hear that, Teresa! Great idea to freeze them, that’s a huge time saver when you want a few fresh cookies. :)

15. Sarah Ray October 7, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Hi, these cookies look amazing! I’ve been looking for a good cookie recipe :) I was wondering if I could just use a cup for cup baking flour instead of adding all the different kinds. would the recipe work the same? Thanks in advance. -Sarah Ray

16. Heather November 3, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

I can’t seem to find millet flour in my area. What else could I use?

• Jeanine November 3, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

The recipe calls for sorghum, but you could sub with millet, gluten-free oat, teff, or even more brown rice flour. HTH!

17. Ange December 18, 2012 at 10:33 am #

I am so glad I found some recipes to try. We just found in May our son has several allergies and I am trying to do a gingerbread manhunt. Would I be able to use this dough for shaped cookies as well or would to much handling break them down? The other gluten-free recipe I found takes 8 hours, kinda wanted them before then :).

18. Carol June 24, 2013 at 11:24 am #

Can I use an egg replacer in this recipe?

• Jeanine Friesen June 24, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

You can try – I never have. If you do, please let us know how it works!

19. Brittanne November 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

These are so good!!

I used my melon baller and baked for 8 minutes instead; yield: 76

• Jeanine Friesen November 17, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

Awesome, Brittanne! Thanks for sharing! :) Hope you are enjoying the cookies!

1. A Gnome and a Pixie: A Holiday Story | Gluten Free Canteen - December 22, 2011

[…] Big Soft Gluten Free Ginger Cookies from Jeanine on Baking Beauties […]

2. Gingersnaps – a bit of spice and everything nice | healthy life, happy cook! - January 2, 2012

[…] cookies will spread too much) Store in an air-tight container once completely cool. *Adapted from The Baking Beauties   Spread the LOVE: Dessert← Rainbow Veggie SaladLeave a Comment Cancel reply […]

3. Gluten Free Lime Meltaways | The Baking Beauties - March 24, 2012

[…] enjoying cookie week! If you have tried either the Thin & Crisp Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Soft Ginger Cookies, or Pumpkin Snickerdoodles, please leave a comment saying how they worked for you, and if you made […]