Help Me Celebrate with Gluten-Free Birthday Cake

It’s that time of year again! I am turning another year older next weekend. I will no longer be in my ‘early 30′s, and I am still too young to be in my ‘late 30′s’. I am now smack-dab in the middle. Hmm…so this is what 16-year-old-me thought was old?? Boy, was I ever foolish.

Today, I am coming to ask you to help me celebrate another year. I would LOVE for you all to link-up with  your BEST gluten-free birthday treats. It can be layered cakes, cupcakes, cheesecakes, ice cream cakes, brownies, popcorn cake or anything else that your creative minds can think up. As long as the recipes are gluten-free.

If you have the recipe posted somewhere, please share your virtual birthday treats with me by adding it to the Linky below. No need to link to me, no need for it to be a new post, I just want to have a collection of birthday treats to browse through. The only catch is, they must be gluten-free (and thank goodness, this way they are also calorie free).

If you don’t have a website or blog, I would still love for you to share a recipe (or two, or three). Please leave your recipe in the comments, I’d LOVE to read them.

No limit as to how many you can enter, I know many of you have FANTASTIC looking goodies on your blogs, I’d love to to celebrate another year with a slice of your virtual cake. :)

I loved the paper birthday crowns from Sunday School!

15 Responses to Help Me Celebrate with Gluten-Free Birthday Cake

1. Katie March 25, 2012 at 1:43 am #

Happy Birthday! What a great idea to have a roundup of tasty gluten free treats. I’ve tried to submit mine, but not sure it worked – fingers crossed! Hope you had a wonderful day :)

• Jeanine March 25, 2012 at 7:18 am #

Oh, Katie, thank you so much for sharing that cake! Wow, I’ve never heard of parsnips in a cake before, what a great combination! :)

2. Carolyn - What Life Dishes Out March 25, 2012 at 6:22 am #

I love this roundup idea! Whatever treat you decide on, I hope your birthday is fantastic! By the way, what I wouldn’t give to be in my mid 30′s again!!!! LOL

• Jeanine March 25, 2012 at 7:18 am #

Carolyn, that’s what my neighbor has been warning me, that after 40, all things change. Eep! I’m not ready for that yet! lol Good thing I have another 5 years to adjust. ;) Thanks so much for sharing the Snickers trifle with me, I too LOVE Snickers!

3. Jeanine March 25, 2012 at 7:55 am #

Washington “Pie” by Monika B on Facebook

No one in my family is sure where the name “pie” came from for this delicious, but obvious, cake. It’s been a family favorite for years, now converted to be gluten free. It has a rich cream cheese frosting and layers of raspberry jam.

For the cake:
    2 ¼ cup sifted GF BH Featherlight flour blend 1 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon xanthan gum 1/3 cup cooking oil
    2 egg yolks 1 cup soy or almond milk
    1 teaspoon almond extract 2 egg whites
    ½ cup sugar

Sift all dry ingredients together.
    In mixer bowl, mix the oil, egg yolks, milk, almond extract, then add the dry ingredients.

In a separate bowl, beat the 2 egg whites, add ½ cup sugar and beat until stiff. FOLD (do not mix!) GENTLY into the batter.

Spread the batter into 2 layer pans which have been lined with wax paper circles (Do NOT grease the pans). Bake in 350oF oven for 25-30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. This is a fairly firm cake.

For the icing:
    8 ounces of cream cheese (I use Tofutti Brand dairy free cream cheese)
    2 tablespoons soy or almond milk
    1/3 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ½ teaspoon almond extract ½ cup heavy cream, whipped

Beat the cream cheese until smooth, add milk, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract. Continue beating until smooth. Fold in the whipped heavy cream.

To prepare cake:
    Seedless raspberry jam or preserves

Slice each layer into two. Alternate layers of cream cheese frosting and Seedless Raspberry Preserves. Finish top and sides with frosting.

4. Jenn March 26, 2012 at 9:53 am #

Hope you had a great birthday!!! Lovely idea to find new GF cake recipes :)

5. Terris March 26, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Happy Birthday Jeanine! I sent you two “virtual” birthday cakes! :) I love this idea and I’m already planning on making those lovely lemon cupcakes of yours with the strawberry frosting, and that decadent looking chocolate cake with puddle frosting. YUM!

• Jeanine March 26, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

Thanks for the cake, Terris! I appreciate it. Perfect, one vanilla and one chocolate. :) Love it!

6. Ang March 27, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

Seeing as how it was my birthday this past weekend and I got nothing, I had to make my own b’day cake:( But then I could make whatever I liked. It’s called a Kit Kat Pie. (More like a Kit Kat Cheesecake) I also like making mini Pavlova’s for when my in-laws come and I am making gluten-free desserts. It’s pretty easy and they look pretty with a Raspberry Filling inside of them.

• Jeanine March 27, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

Thanks, Ang! I’ve never tired making mini pavlova’s, but those are great ideas! :)

7. Rachelle @ Mommy? I'm Hungry! March 27, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

Thanks for your linky list! Happy Birthday, I am sharing my GF choco cake w/the pink frosting. Mmm!

• Jeanine March 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Thank you, Rachelle!! That cake is so pretty! There is something about brown & pink that is just beautiful. :) Thanks for sharing!!

8. Charis March 28, 2012 at 7:40 am #

I have been away from family for a long time so no cake for me but for celebrations and for my last birthday get together with friends I make the following decadent chocolate tart.

Crust
    About 7-9 GF chocolate cookies/crackers (no filling) ground in food processor (enough to make 1 cup ground)
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    1/4 cup sugar
    I mix these together and press with finger tips into pie plate and bake at 350 F about 10 mins

Filling
    1 1/4 cups of heavy cream
    9oz bittersweet or dark chocolate broken into small pieces (personal preference is dark but when I make it for others I use bittersweet)
    2 eggs
    vanilla
    pinch of salt
    Heat cream to a boil, (i use same pot and take it off the stove) add the chopped chocolate and stir slowly till mixed through, add beaten eggs and vanilla and salt. Pour into crust and bake 20-25mins. Will be a bit wobbly in center but will firm up when cooled. Let sit an hour or so if you can wait that long :-) before serving.

My friends love it with left over cream whipped so buy extra cream, I chill a steel bowl and whip up some fresh cream to top it on the plate and garnish with fresh berries

• Jeanine March 28, 2012 at 8:20 am #

Oh my goodness, Charis, that sounds FABULOUS! Wow! Thank you so much for sharing, I appreciate it! :)