Gluten-free Baked Chocolate Doughnuts

There are very few things that I miss after being diagnosed with Celiac disease. Oh, I admit, the first number of months were difficult. Very hard, in fact. But when I started working in the kitchen and converting my favorite recipes to gluten-free, that all slowly faded away. I don’t get fazed when I walk through a bakery anymore. Although the smell of the fresh baked breads can pull a person in, I no longer feel deprived because I am unable to buy any of it. I can walk past all the beautiful artisan breads, and baguettes, and not feel a sense of loss. I can see all the bagels, with their varieties of toppings, and just keep walking.

But, there is still one item that catches my attention. One item that makes me stop in my tracks and stare a little longer. One item that I miss. Doughnuts. Oh, to walk past the display case, filled with all the different doughnuts, some with fillings, others with glazes, sprinkles and nuts. That is one thing that can still make me stop in my tracks and feel a little bit of loss.

That is where these beautiful, baked chocolate doughnuts come in. They are actually quite a bit better than those in the stores. Obviously, since they do not contain gluten, I can eat them. They are baked, not fried; that’s nearly health food! And, they can be ready to eat, fresh from the oven, in about 30 minutes. Yes, they are that dangerous. Baking a pan of doughnuts is not nearly as hard as I thought, making it a dangerous spur-of-the-moment snack.

51 Responses to Gluten-free Baked Chocolate Doughnuts

1. Lauren @ As Good As Gluten April 27, 2012 at 8:15 am #

Jeanine – your doughnuts look A-MAZ-ING!!!! My mouth is watering. I can’t wait to try these, doughnuts are one of the foods I occasionally miss as well.

• Jeanine April 27, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Thanks, Lauren! Mmm….Doughnuts…

2. Terri April 27, 2012 at 9:00 am #

Hi Jeanine…I have run across alot of recipes that have either buttermilk or milk and cider vinegar…can you use buttermilk in the ones with the vinegar instead of the milk/vinegar mix? Missing doughnuts here also! Have bought some from online stores but they get so expensive. Think I’ve try these this weekend!! Thanks!

• Jeanine April 27, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Oh, I’m sure that the buttermilk would work just fine! Great suggestion! :)
      Hope you enjoy them, my family sure did!

3. NA April 27, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Wow, Jeanine, they look yummy! Do you have any recipes for filled doughnuts? Or apple cider doughnuts? We used to go to an orchard that had those every fall, all rolled in cinnamon sugar and with a hint of nutmeg in the dough. Mmmmm… Maybe you could work THAT recipe up and have another doughnut in the repertoire!

4. Angie Halten April 28, 2012 at 11:09 am #

I have been always debating whether or not to buy a doughnut pan…after seeing your pictures I’m definitely going to pick one up this weekend and give them a try!

• Jeanine June 1, 2012 at 6:31 am #

I now have 2 doughnut pans, at least they don’t take up too much room when you don’t use them. ;)

5. Genevieve April 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

I received an electric mini donut maker for Christmas. I’m SO excited to try this recipe (and a large donut pan is now totally on my wish list!) Thanks so much!

• Jeanine May 16, 2012 at 7:10 am #

Oh, I bet this would be even easier in one of those mini donut makers! Nice gift!

6. Carol, Simply Gluten Free May 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

WOW! Those look delicious. I’ve missed good old-fashioned doughnuts! Thanks so much for posting. :)

• Jeanine May 4, 2012 at 10:43 am #

Doughnuts…barely ate them before going Gf, but once you CAN’T have them, you do miss them a little. ;) Thanks for stopping by, Carol!

7. Liz May 15, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Hi Jeanine, Bought a donut pan this weekend and the kids and I baked donuts. They turned out wonderful! We followed the recipe exactly (except used vanilla pudding because I didn’t have chocolate). DS1 and I ate ours with sprinkles. DH and DS2 topped theirs with ice cream and extra chocolate glaze. Everyone thought they were great. Thank you for the recipe!

• Jeanine May 16, 2012 at 7:11 am #

Well, it sounds like eating them either way would be perfect (as long as they both had sprinkles, hehe). Glad to hear that everyone enjoyed them! :)

8. Pam June 4, 2012 at 9:30 am #

These are so yummy! We have been gluten free for 3 months after realizing the connection between Graves Disease and gluten intolerance. I was an avid wheat baker and your recipes give our whole family hope to be able to enjoy food again. THANK YOU!!!

• Jeanine June 8, 2012 at 9:11 am #

You are very welcome, Pam! I loved to bake before being diagnosed with Celiac disease too, and I refused to let the GF diet make me quit. :) I hope you have many kitchen successes coming you way!

9. Carrie August 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

I made these today, in a mini doughnut pan, and got 30! They were AMAZING, not grainy like some tend to be. TY so much!!! I cannot wait to try them in a regular sized pan!

• Jeanine August 11, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

Oh wow, that’s a lot of mini doughnuts!! :) You’re very welcome, glad that you enjoyed them!

10. Heidi Fromke August 25, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

These doughnuts were the BEST! They looked, felt, tasted like the “real” thing! Thanks so much for sharing them! My 14 y/o son is esecially grateful! WAY yummy!

• Jeanine August 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Nice!! I love to hear when kids benefit from my recipes. Thanks for sharing that, Heidi! :)

11. Helen Stirling September 6, 2012 at 6:33 am #

I really miss doughnuts and I love to bake so these are great. Only trouble is I am a Brit and I get totally confused with your cup sized compared to grams/oz or fl oz/ml. I have tried US recipes in the past and they never seem to work 8(

Is there an easy way to convert?

• Jeanine September 6, 2012 at 7:19 am #

Hi Helen! Although it’s not exactly easy, you can use this chart to convert the gluten-free flours from cups to grams, it’ll just take a little work (and possibly a calculator). :)

• Bridget October 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

You could just use google to convert. in the search bar just type “cups to oz” and a little tool will come up below that lets you type in how many cups and than coverts if for you :) it even lets you change it from us oz to imperial ones (which is what I think you use in Britian)

12. Tiffany September 7, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

This looks awesome! I miss doughnuts and would love to try this recipe. How much flour of a gf flour blend with xathan gum included do you think would sub for what you have? 1 cup?

• Jeanine September 12, 2012 at 7:15 am #

Hi Tiffany! they ARE good! ;) 1 cup minus 1 Tablespoon of pre-blended gluten-free flour should work in this recipe. Enjoy!

13. Elaine September 18, 2012 at 11:44 am #

Just made a batch of these – but put them in mini muffin pans to make the donut holes. I used the small cookie scoop for each one – perfect!!! Rolled them in sugar while still warm. Thanks for another great recipe, Jeanine!!!

• Jeanine October 21, 2012 at 7:30 am #

Mmm….good compromising! :) Glad to hear they worked well!

14. Terri Vogel October 21, 2012 at 7:26 am #

Hi, Thank you so very much for all the wonderful recipes, were huge fans of the pumpkin scones. As a family of seven I get many requests for other flavors ;) what could I replace the cocoa powder for vanilla/white donuts? Thanks again for sharing all your hard work!
    Terri V.

• Jeanine October 21, 2012 at 7:32 am #

I haven’t tried it, but you could sub it for more rice flour (equal amounts), and add 2 tsp of vanilla. Also sub the chocolate pudding with vanilla pudding mix. ;) Again, I haven’t tried it myself, so if you do, please let me know how it works!

15. Terri Vogel October 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Jeanie,
    Thank you, I made the chocolate donuts today. WOW they were AMAZING, my little tribe all loved them and thats not an easy thing to do tee-hee ;) I sure will let you know how the vanilla ones turn out, thank you for the info. Im also going to try and freeze unfrosted donuts for on those on the go mornings, just unthaw the night before and frost in the am. try to make things as easy as I can in a g-free world!
    once again thanks for all your hard work!

16. Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

These look totally amazing!

17. Sandy Cheatham January 8, 2013 at 9:13 am #

These donuts were fabulous and worked perfect in my donut maker! I’m loving your website :)

18. Dude February 2, 2013 at 1:27 am #

Thanks for posting this. I recently bought a gluten free friend some donuts and felt really bad about it, so i think I might try this recipe and make her some instead. :D

• Jeanine February 2, 2013 at 9:42 am #

Oh, these are much better (and fresher) than any bought gluten-free doughnuts. :) Hope your friend enjoys them!

19. Kathy February 13, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

I tried making the recipe as is and it was awesome. My whole family loved them! The next time, I altered the recipe to make vanilla instead of chocolate. I omitted the cocoa and added 1 tsp vanilla extract and switched the chocolate pudding mix with vanilla pudding mix. Delish! I also found heart shaped donut pans at Michael’s craft store and am making the vanilla ones for my daughter’s kinder class. Thanks for the great recipe!

• Jeanine February 13, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

Oh, perfect!! That’s great that you made them into vanilla ones, I’ve never tried that! Oh, I bet they’d be cute as little hearts. If you get a chance, share the pic to the FB page or email it to me, I’d love to share it with the readers if possible. :)

20. cdnskmom March 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

These are so YUMMY!!! I jumped up and made these the moment I came across the recipe, and they were SO easy!

As you said, they are in and out of the oven, ready to eat in 30 minutes… dangerous! And absolutely delicious. Next time I will try the doughnut hole idea in the mini-muffin tin, as a full recipe in a 6 doughnut pan makes the doughnuts really huge… puffy and fat! Far too big a serving for what we normally eat when it comes to treats… we each had half!

Only variation for us was that I just used the cup less a TBsp of my own flour blend, as it is similar to the flours in the recipe… except I typically use millet instead of sorghum.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe. Love the pudding spin.

• Jeanine March 6, 2013 at 8:04 am #

Glad to hear they worked for you, and that the flour sub worked as well. :)

21. Tina Stalter March 8, 2013 at 6:18 am #

I did these last night with a few changes. Hubby cut out chocolate for Lent, so I used vanilla pudding and subbed it for the cocoa powder. I also used guar gum instead of xanthan gum. I had to bake them longer, but they were amazing. They were gone in 5 minutes which is saying something for gluten-free baking!

22. LizH May 4, 2013 at 12:40 am #

Oh my this sounds wonderful!! Do you think it’s possible to make dairy free? Sub coconut milk and cocoa for pudding mix and milk? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for always posting such beautiful yummies!!

• Jeanine Friesen May 4, 2013 at 7:13 am #

Hi Liz, I think it’s possible, but I haven’t tried it myself. You could use an extra Tablespoon of rice flour in place of the chocolate pudding mix, and sub the milk for a dairy-free version. It ‘should’ work! Please let me know if you try it.

23. Lisa d December 23, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

Wondering if you have added whey protein powder into the mix? Trying to shift the carb:protein ratio in recipes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• Jeanine Friesen December 23, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

I’ve never tried using a protein powder before – might work well though! Just be sure it’s gluten-free. ;)

24. jen February 21, 2014 at 8:41 pm #

Could these be made vegan with applesauce in place of the eggs?

25. Carla March 4, 2014 at 4:34 pm #

Thank you sooooo much for this recipe. It is excellent. My 10 year old is Gluten Free and we needed something the WHOLE family could eat for Fausnacht Day. We didn’t have a donut pan so we made mini muffins and it was just fine. The funny part is that the only pudding I had was coloring changing pudding, so we used and got slightly green muffins. We all got a good laugh and they were so delicious it didn’t matter what color they were. Thank you for helping us stick with our donut day tradition!!!

26. Erin April 5, 2014 at 10:20 am #

SO YUM!!!!! We glazed with confectioners sugar and milk. Hubby declared “better than dunkin donuts! Success!
    I replaced the milk powder with 1tbsp rice flour and 1 tablespoon extra cocoa powder and used almond milk for the milk to make dairy free. Perfection. THANK YOU for the recipe! Between this and your gf bread we are a HAPPY gf family!!!

27. Tessa@tessadomesticdiva April 8, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

I made these again today ( I though had left feedback the first time, whoops!). Anyways, super tatsy! I had to make them egg and dairy free sphere is what I did:
    - for the eggs I used 1/4 cup each plain coconut milk yogurt and applesauce.
    -for the pudding I used 2 tablespoons coconut milk powder
    -I used millet I place of sorghum (all I had on hand)
    -I used all tapioca starch in place of orate ( I was out)

I also used 6T palm sugar and about 20 drop nu naturals liquid stevia for the sweetener!

So good, thank you!

1. Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – April 29, 2012 « Celiac Kitchen Witch - April 29, 2012

[...] [...]

2. Gluten-free Donut Recipes - May 4, 2012

[...] Gluten-free baked chocolate doughnuts from the Baking Beauties: I love the iconic donut look of these. Rainbow sprinkles are a must! [...]

3. Five Recipes I Want To Try–Chocolate Attack! GF Style | Sensitive and Centsible - June 12, 2012

[...] From Baking Beauties [...]