Gluten-free "Six Layer Dessert"

Now, I know many of you are familiar with this controversial dessert. It’s the dessert that made you snicker as a child, and well, even as an adult. It goes by many names, some of which are “The next best thing to Robert Redford” (I think that one must be outdated already, since there are so many more nice things than Robert these days), “Sex in a pan”, which apparently is a misinterpretation (yeah, right) of “Six in a pan”. “Six in a pan” was named so because of the 6 layers that this dessert has. Use whatever name you want, it is always delicious!

I made this cake for an Easter dessert and decided to use chopped up Hershey’s Eggies. Feel free to use chopped up candy bar, or even just shaved chocolate to top off this cake. However you decide to do it, it will be delicious!

13 Responses to Gluten-free "Six Layer Dessert"

1. Lyndsay from CHARMED April 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

To. Die. For

2. Evelyn April 12, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

I’m a tad bit embarrassed to say this, but I’ve NEVER heard of this dessert! It looks really good though, and I’m so excited to try it!!:-)

• Jeanine April 13, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

There are many variations & names for it, I’m surprised you haven’t heard of it! I know you’d like it though, it’s usually a hit. :)

3. Mary April 13, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

I use Pamela’s Pecan Shortbread cookies for the crust. Just break them up and add 1/4 cup melted butter, pat in pan and bake !

• Jeanine April 13, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

That sounds like a fantastic alternative, Mary! I don’t have access to those cookies here, but for those that do, a time saver! Thanks for sharing!

4. Becky July 19, 2012 at 11:22 am #

I am SO excited to try this out! And I’m so excited to have stumbled across your site!! I am no good when it comes to baking and having to convert recipes (I dont have the patience to bake…I love cooking where I can throw anything into the pot/pan and taste it and alter it until it tastes great but unfortunately that does not work with baking!!) so finding this site with soooo many gluten free recipes is like a little slice of gluten free dessert heaven for me! :)

• Jeanine July 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Aw, thanks, Becky! Welcome here!! :) (I love baking, but hate cooking, we should team up!)

5. Kelly Jonsson May 21, 2013 at 11:30 am #

Totally had a Laugh Out Loud moment at your “nice things” link! Very funny! Looking forward to trying this recipe — I have your GF Cream Puffs recipe in the oven right now!

• Jeanine Friesen May 23, 2013 at 7:08 am #

Haha, hope you have a chance to try it, Kelly. It’s really, really good!

6. GwenH June 13, 2013 at 10:23 am #

I just love this dessert, can’t wait to try it with a gluten free crust, thanks Jeanine!

• Jeanine Friesen July 20, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

My pleasure, Gwen! Hope you enjoyed it, I know we did. :)

1. Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – April 15, 2012 « Celiac Kitchen Witch - April 15, 2012

[…] […]