Friday Finds ~ Second-hand Scores {May 25, 2012}

Welcome back! I hope you are enjoying this new Friday feature that I have here. I love going to second-hand stores and garage sales, and truly believe that one person’s trash is another person’s treasure. I decided to share some of my finds with you, and hope that you will share your finds with me as well (alright, a picture of your finds will do; no need to hand over the actual treasure). :)

This past week was a pretty good one for garage sales, we must have hit at least 20 of them in 3 hours, and scored something at nearly every sale. *Nice!*

I bought a set of four blue napkins for 50¢. I love the blue colour, and love to use them in my food pictures. Blues really do make browns look much nicer. :)

It must be hereditary. I blame it all on my Mom. She has an addiction to cookbooks. ESPECIALLY the community cookbooks, where everyone submits recipes. Those are really bad for her. And well, apparently I’m getting drawn into that addiction as well. I bought 2 community-type cookbooks and “Eat Pray Love”, which I haven’t read or seen the movie. I think I paid 50¢ per book, so $1.50 in total. (And yes, Mom, you can borrow my cookbooks, once I’ve looked through them). ;)

Now, I have no idea if this apple peeler will work or not, and I know it needs a good scrubbing yet (as do all things I bring home from garage sales), but for 50¢, I figured it was worth a try. Especially in fall when my parent’s apple tree produces bag after bag of smaller apples.

In addition to these finds, I got my daughter 2 summer nightgowns and a Hello Kitty t-shirt for $1.00 each, my boy a pair of soccer cleats for 50¢, a K’NEX corkscrew roller coaster for $4.00, and a Nintendo DS game for $4.00. So, all in all, a pretty great shopping day! I am looking forward to this weekend because there are a few community garage sales that we are thinking of going to. Hey, I’m easy to please. I’d rather do a day of garage sales than a day of actual shopping. (You know, the kind you pay full price for. Eep!)

Feel free to post your second-hand scores here as well! You can link to a Pinterest pin, if you’d like.

‘);
// ]]>

11 Responses to Friday Finds ~ Second-hand Scores {May 25, 2012}

1. Andrea May 25, 2012 at 7:27 am #

Oh, I had a great garage sale day too! I found a waffle maker for $2 and a sunbeam mixmaster for $5 as well a stack of archie comic books for $2!

• Jeanine May 25, 2012 at 7:34 am #

You did have great finds!! (and it’s a good thing we are never looking for the same things, ha!) :)

2. mom May 25, 2012 at 7:40 am #

Sounds like your having fun…which I lived closer..one mans junk is the next guys treasure. Yes Jeanine,you can blame your cookbook addiction on me…could be worse :) what can I do I love cookbooks!

3. Heather Porrill May 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

You know the world is coming to an end when a young mother sells a brand new copy of The Joy of Cooking for $1.00, that was my find last week. I wanted to ask her…”are you sure about this” but decided her learning to cook from an all time favorite was not my job. I took it. I also scored a big planter, and I mean big. I have it filled already and should have flowers popping up in a week. I am hoping to get away this weekend again, but am not sure I can…maybe tonight.

• Jeanine May 25, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

Heather, I look for that book at EVERY sale I go to! Haven’t found it yet though, but that’s a GREAT find! Wow! I’d love to see your planter once the flowers are up too! :)

4. Carol@easytobeglutenfree May 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

I LOVE those community cookbooks too. I got a big stack of them at a garage sale a few weeks ago. I also have one of those apple peeler things – I don’t use it a whole lot but it’s a very handy gadget when you need it. I hit a lot of yard sales this morning. Got a vintage quilt for $15, some craft items, 2 big bags of towels to donate to the animal rescue place and 2 big boxes of clothes to donate to the homeless. I love to get the good deals even if it isn’t for me!

• Jeanine May 30, 2012 at 7:14 am #

Those are great ideas, Carol! Buying & donating items. Good for you!! Sometimes, the price is just right, huh? :)

5. Lyndsay from CHARMED May 26, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

I will be super interested to see what you think of Eat Pray Love. I loved the story when she was in Italy. It seems to be one of those books people either love or hate. I got a lot out of it but several members of my book club really hated it. Let me know – and I agree with you about the blue. I found two bright blue plates at Value Village last year and use them all the time for my food photos.

• Jeanine May 30, 2012 at 7:15 am #

I’ve heard it is a love it or hate it book, but still haven’t cracked it open. Figured the price was right…if I read it, great, if not, I’ll donate it to the book sale next year. ;)

6. Evelyn May 27, 2012 at 11:47 am #

I’m a “community cookbook” sucker too! The last yard sale I went to had 3 of them for 10 cents each, and I had to get them all! I LOVE them cause a lot of the recipes are…REAL? I don’t know if that’s the right word. :-) Probably the best sale deal I got there, however, was clothing…fill a bag with as many clothes/shoes you can, for $1! We brought home 4 bags of clothes, and we all got a new pair of shoes along with them!:-)

• Jeanine May 30, 2012 at 7:16 am #

Wow, Evelyn, that is an amazing price! That’s cheaper than our thrift store when they do ‘bag sale’ days! And I think we all like the community cookbooks because it is the closest thing we have now to passed down, hand-written recipes. That’s just not done anymore, but to have everyone share (like you said) their real recipes, there is just something special about that. :)