Friday’s Finds ~ Second-hand Scores {May 18, 2012}

This past week there were not nearly as many garage sales as last week, but still a decent number. I’m sad to say that after spending a few hours going around, stopping at nearly all of them, I didn’t find anything that REALLY called my name. There was one antique plate for $3 that I really liked, or the old Coco-Cola crate for $10, but they just didn’t feel ‘right’. So, I came home empty handed. But, that doesn’t mean that I don’t have anything to share with you guys today. Here are a few more of my second-hand finds from the past few weeks. :)

I found a ravioli cutter. I don’t know what my obsession is with ravioli cutters, since I have never made homemade ravioli, but I figure one day I will, and I will be prepared! I think this set me back a whole 25¢.

I’ve wanted one of these for a while already. An insulated coffee butler. Now, I can make myself coffee, go out to the deck & enjoy without having to go back in for that second cup. ;) Or, when I’m at home by myself, my coffee will still be hot (and great tasting) hours later. So far, I’ve only tested as far as 3 hours, but it’s still hot! It was also clean on the inside, which was important to me, but I did also clean it by filling it with hot water and a dishwasher detergent tablet. Nice & shiny and it only cost me 50¢!

No, not the cookies, silly. Those are my gluten free chocolate chip cookies that I baked the other day. what I got for 80¢ was the melamine bowl, I love that colour of blue.

This here is actually two finds. The bottom crate I got for $4 at the thrift store, and the top tub I got for $3 at a garage sale. Now, I haven’t done my outdoor planting yet, but I picture these two working together, somehow. When I figure it out (and it fills out a little), I will be sure to post a picture and give you an update. Any suggestions? I’d love to plant only edible things this year, but I love flowers, so maybe this will be my flower splurge. :)

8 Responses to Friday’s Finds ~ Second-hand Scores {May 18, 2012}

1. Marisa May 18, 2012 at 7:47 am #

Wow those are excellent finds, especially that price!!!!! OMG
    I found a lovely tea pot matching my moms old dishes in pristine condition but it cost $5 that’s cheap for T.O.

• Jeanine May 18, 2012 at 9:01 am #

Oh, Marisa, that’s a good price for an old tea pot here too! You just never know what you’ll find. :)

2. Faye Gannon May 18, 2012 at 10:03 am #

I have a water fountain in my yard that is the tub with a watering can suspended above it. The tub is painted a seafoam green and has pansies painted around the tub. I got it about 15 years ago after seeing an ad in country living mag. – it was made by a DIY’er
    in Tennessee. I have to replace the tub this year as there is a hole in the bottom too big to caulk. Too bad I don’t know how to paint the new one to look like the old one!

• Jeanine May 18, 2012 at 10:14 am #

Oh wow, that sounds really neat too! When it’s a DIY job, it’s usually easier to fix, or replace parts at least. Maybe you can find a stencil?

3. Heather Porrill May 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

I am just on my way out the door to see what garage sales I can find in my area. Hopefully there will be some even with the snow we had today. I am looking for a few more unusual finds for my garden. I think I may have a way of displaying my entire metal tea kettle collection so I would always be open to finding just one more.

• Jeanine May 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Heather, did you find anything else for your garden??

4. Ang Nickel May 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

I scored 2 of those wooden boxes from my mother-in-law a few weeks ago. Last week I was deciding what I was going to do with them. Well, I filled them both with dirt – one box is full of herbs like summer savery, parsley, sorrel and a dill plant (variety from our local green house.) The other is strictly full of dill. Last summer we had a lot of caterpillars on our dill. We brought them in and they cacooned themselves. A few weeks later we had beautiful Black Swallowtail Butterflies that our boys had the pleasure of watching immerge. This year our oldest son (9) wanted to see that happen again. They say these caterpillars love dill, so we planted dill. :)

• Jeanine May 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Oh neat! That is really cool when kids can see nature in front of them like that. Although, I’m not sure I’d like to bring it inside, I’d fear it would break lose. :)