Are you a chocoholic? Do you insist on basic vanilla? Or do you like to walk on the wild side with strawberry? For those that don’t fall into one category or another, the perfect choice is Neapolitan. Neapolitan is a perfect balance of chocolate, vanilla & strawberry, and is very popular as an ice cream flavour. However, you can take that same concept for different desserts as well. These gluten-free cupcakes are a perfect example of that. They combine the richness of chocolate, the classic flavour of vanilla, and the berry-licious taste of strawberry in one cupcake. They are topped with Strawberry-Vanilla Swirled Buttercream, the perfect topping for these cupcakes, and so pretty too.
Gluten-free Neapolitan Cupcakes
Yields 12 cupcakes
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp strawberry extract plus 5 drops red food colour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, tapioca starch, sorghum flour, xanthan gum, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil and eggs. Pour into the dry ingredients, and stir just until mixed. Divide the batter between three medium bowls.
- To the first bowl, stir in 2 Tbsp cocoa powder.
- To the second bowl, stir in 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- To the third bowl, stir in 1 tsp strawberry extract and 5 drops of red colour.
- Scoop batter into prepared baking pans, layering each flavour of batter. You will need about 1 1/2 Tablespoon of each flavour batter to fill the baking pans evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Strawberry-Vanilla Swirled Buttercream
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp strawberry extract
- Beat together the confectioners’ sugar, butter, heavy cream, and salt until smooth & fluffy (3-5 minutes with a stand mixer). Divide buttercream between two bowls.
- To one bowl, incorporate 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- To the second bowl, incorporate 1/2 tsp strawberry extract.
- Place the buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. By placing the vanilla buttercream on one side of the piping bag, and the strawberry on the other, the two will mix in a beautiful swirl pattern when you are piping it onto the cupcakes.
- Store frosted cupcakes in an air-tight container on the counter for up to three days, but I bet they won’t last that long.
Looking for a SUPER simple way to fill your piping bags? Watch this video that I found on Pinterest, you won’t believe how simple it is.