Gluten-free Cream Puffs

Gluten Free Cream Puffs | The Baking Beauties

I will admit it now…I never mastered making cream puffs before I baked gluten-free. I always had trouble with them not rising properly, or with them staying soggy in the middle. My Grandma was really good at making them though, and she’d whip up a batch if they were coming over for supper, filled with pudding or whipped cream.

These cream puffs are awesome though. Totally crisp, with a beautiful hollow in the middle. The trick, I believe, is in making the “Choux Paste”, which is the dough that can be used to make Cream Puffs, Éclairs, or Crullers. You have to be sure to fully incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet before adding the eggs. Add the eggs slowly, adding one at a time and making sure that it is fully mixed in before adding the next.

29 Responses to Gluten-free Cream Puffs

1. Beth July 23, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Those look amazing!!!!

• Jeanine July 23, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Thanks, Beth! They tasted great too. Hope you give them a try!

2. kelsey July 23, 2012 at 11:22 am #

What type of filling did you decide to use? The filling looks really yummy~:)

• Jeanine July 23, 2012 at 11:39 am #

The filling is super simple – heavy whipping cream beat with vanilla pudding mix (added enough to make it nice & thick, plus it stabilizes it) and raspberry extract, with a drop of red colouring for the pink colour. Topped it with some homemade hot fudge sauce (from Brown Eyed Baker’s site). DELICIOUS and pretty. :)

3. Sarah July 23, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Oh my, I can’t wait to make these! It’s been so long since I’ve had a cream puff!
    -Sarah

• Jeanine July 23, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

You’ll love them! :) With the variety of fillings you can do, the options are endless. Followed your blog on FB & Pinterest, love your site, Sarah!

4. Michelle July 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

WOWW!!! I’m thinking these would make a perfect anniversary dessert!!! Thank you for the recipe! :)

• Jeanine July 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Oh, they would be! Bake what you need, freeze the rest, and it’s perfect! Happy Anniversary!

5. Margaret A. Massey July 23, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

Hmmm! I think the recipe could be cut in half. I don’t have any room in my freezer. :(
    Company coming in August.

• Jeanine July 23, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Absolutely! Cutting in half would be easy, since it has 4 eggs! I always find recipes with 3 eggs difficult to halve. :)

6. Betty Reimer July 25, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Another beautiful recipe mastered! I just told another friend about your website, she loves it!!

• Jeanine July 25, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Thanks, Betty! I appreciate it! :)

7. Susan July 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

Jeanine, I use Jules GF flour would it work?

• Jeanine July 29, 2012 at 9:56 am #

I’m not sure, since I haven’t ever used Jules GF flour blend. If you do try it, let us know how it works!

8. rwect September 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Jeanine, these look devine! How long do they keep in an airtight container? I’d like to make them ahead of time, just need to know how much time they have!!
    xRx

• rwect September 21, 2012 at 4:21 am #

…also thought you might be pleased to know that a chef (who is not coeliac) said he could not tell the difference between the ones I made and regular gluten filled choux pastry.
      Good job!

9. Camille December 26, 2012 at 12:11 am #

I made these today as a Christmas treat and they were divine. The dough puffed up beautifully even though I made my cream puffs quite large. This tasted just like the delicious cream puffs I used to eat before I got diagnosed with celiac disease. I used the cream puff filling recipe from the food and wine magazine’s website and put dark chocolate sauce on top. My family could not believe how good they were. I will absolutely be making these again.

10. Camille December 26, 2012 at 12:20 am #

Correction: I used the chocolate sauce from the Food & Wine website and the filling from the gluten free cream puff recipe on Seriouseats.com. I am sure these would be delicious with any filling and topping however. Again, this was an amazing cream puff recipe. Try it!

11. Vivi January 16, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

Thanks Jennie, after a few trial, i finally get a great result. After nearly a decade not eating cream puff, theybtaste so good !!!

12. Anna March 3, 2013 at 11:34 pm #

Hi! I really appreciate you publishing this recipe online! I love to bake, even more so french pastries. I bring them to my French class (I’m in highschool), but unfortunately my teacher and one of my close friends are gluten intolerant. I can’t express how glad I am to not only find a recipe that is gluten free and works for high altitude, but is also delicious! Thanks a bunch! :)

• Jeanine March 6, 2013 at 8:10 am #

That is so great of you for baking so that your teacher & classmate can both partake too. Glad that the recipe worked well for you! :)

13. Tiily April 26, 2013 at 12:26 pm #

I decided to whip up these goodies yesterday to accommodate diabetic and gluten-free. I subbed part of the brown rice flour with oat flour and found them to be wet on the inside although they puffed and looked amazing. Would baking them longer be helpful or do I have to use the brown rice flour? I added unsweetened Greek yogurt, mixed berry yogurt and chopped fresh strawberries to slightly sweetened whipped cream. The taste was fabulous.

• Jeanine Friesen April 26, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

Hi Tilly! It could be the difference – the original recipe calls for white rice and sweet rice, so it could be that the oat flour was a little too heavy. But if they still puffed well, a few more minutes of baking may have helped them too. Did you pierce the cream puffs after baking, and leave them in the oven with the door cracked open? That step should usually help the trapped steam to escape. The filling sounds amazing!! Perfect dessert for those gluten and sugar free!

14. Sue Hare April 18, 2014 at 10:06 am #

My sister and I used to make a cream puff dessert in a glass cake pan and we loved it – but now miss it terribly. The recipe called for spreading the dough on the bottom of the pan. It would puff up all over, but especially rise on the sides. Then the filling was made and spread over the center part of the baked dough. It was similar to cream puffs, but a fraction of the hassle! Would this gluten free dough behave in the same way? What modifications would you recommend ( I imagine baking time would be affected – but by how much)? Would appreciate any comments!

• Jeanine Friesen April 18, 2014 at 10:08 am #

Yes, it does work! I think this recipe would be enough for a 9×13 pan, do 1/2 if you’re doing a pie pan. Bake the same way you would the other recipe, it should work the same way. :)

1. Vegetarian, Gluten-Free Roundup: Pears to Peaches - July 27, 2012

[...] The Baking Beauties shared Cream Puffs [...]

2. Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – July 29, 2012 « Celiac Kitchen Witch - July 29, 2012

[...] [...]

3. Gluten-Free Cream Puffs That Are "Awesome"! | All Gluten-Free Desserts...All the Time - June 22, 2013

[...] Jeanine’s Cream Puffs recipe over at The Baking Beauties. Full Disclosure/Disclaimer: This post may contain one or more [...]

4. Gluten Free Cream Puffs with a Pomegranate Cheesecake Filling - The Baking Beauties - January 23, 2014

[…] For more tips on working with this gluten-free Choux Paste, please read “Gluten-free Cream Puffs“. […]