Gluten-free Crisp Chocolate Wafers, Perfect for Ice Cream Sandwiches

I’ve managed to re-create nearly everything that I missed from gluten days. Gooey Cinnamon Buns. Check. Amazing pizza. Check. Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. Check. Plus, another 400+ recipes that I didn’t really NEED, but it’s nice to have, just in case. ;) I seldom buy gluten-free products, I usually try to make my own instead. But, I will buy cereal, pasta, and ice cream cones. One thing that I miss, that I don’t think I’ve even seen a store-bought version available, is ice cream sandwiches. It’s been over 4 years since I’ve enjoyed an ice cream sandwich, so I figured maybe it was time to do something about that. And so I created this recipe for a crisp dark chocolate wafer, that can be used for sandwich cookies (read “Oreo” knock-offs”), or pulsed in the food processor for chocolate crumbs, great for cheesecakes and gluten-free rum balls.

Or, you can use them to make gluten-free ice cream sandwiches! :) To make ice cream sandwiches, scoop softened ice cream onto a cool cookie, and top with another cookie. Wrap each ice cream sandwich in plastic wrap and store in the freezer. It is best to do this in advance so that the cookie has a chance to soften and the ice cream has a chance to harden before they are eaten.

15 Responses to Gluten-free Crisp Chocolate Wafers, Perfect for Ice Cream Sandwiches

1. Heather Porrill August 2, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Jeanine, these are beautiful! I have to try them.

• Jeanine August 2, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Thank you, Heather! I hope you enjoy them. Nice to wrap up, stick in the freezer, and just take them out when you ‘need’ them. ;)

2. Krisandt August 2, 2012 at 10:09 am #

I was SO excited to see this on my blogger dashboard! I’ve been trying to find a gluten free ice cream sandwich recipe for ages THANK YOU :). Love love love the pictures.

• Jeanine August 2, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Awesome! Perfect timing then. And thank you for the compliment, it means a lot to me. :)

3. Spencer August 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Looks awesome! My son would love that! (I would be quite partial to it too!)

4. Claudia September 15, 2012 at 9:17 am #

These look delicious! Only thing is, I’m corn-free as well. Are there any substitutes for corn starch in your recipes?

• Jeanine September 15, 2012 at 9:26 am #

I haven’t tried it, so I don’t know the results, but you could try substituting the cornstarch with either arrowroot starch or potato starch. If you try either, let me know how it works!

5. karen December 16, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Do you think that the cookie part would work, if you baked it in large sheets and then crushed it up as a crust for cheesecake?

• Jeanine December 17, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

Yes! that’s exactly what I do if I just want the crumbs, and not the cookies. :) Works great! (great for rum balls too!). ;)

6. Baker Bliss Maker June 30, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

Thank you so much for this recipe! It is actually gluten free Oreos! What an AWESOME cookie to have and love and eat and love and….oh wait…I mean bake for my customers too! Yum yummy yum! Thank you thank you!

Kristen

• Jeanine Friesen July 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

You’re very welcome, Kristen! I agree, homemade oreos are another great use for them, you can alter the filling flavours then too. Mmm…possibilities are endless!

1. Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – August 5, 2012 « Celiac Kitchen Witch - August 5, 2012

[...] [...]

2. The Ultimate Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe Roundup! | All Gluten-Free Desserts...All the Time - August 3, 2013

[...] Crisp Chocolate Wafer Ice Cream Sandwiches from The Baking Beauties ~ Jeanine makes crisp chocolate wafers (what she calls “Oreo knockoffs”) and fills them with ready-made ice cream. As her photo shows, you can gussy them up even more by rolling them in sprinkles, nuts, etc. [...]

3. 9 Gluten Free Desserts to Celebrate Canada Day and Independence Day | Cookies At The Discount Store - August 18, 2013

[...] Top Center – Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches [...]

4. Peanut Butter Pie with Chocolate Covered Pretzel Crust - The Baking Beauties - February 5, 2014

[…] garlic bread to go with your spaghetti dinner – you have to bake the bread first. If you want ice cream sandwiches – you have to bake the cookies first. If you want pie – you have to make the crust […]