This Moist Gluten Free Banana Cake stays fresh for days on the counter. Although it doesn’t require a frosting to be enjoyed, it is tasty topped with sweetened whipped cream, or chocolate frosting.
Moist Gluten Free Banana Cake Recipe
Author: Jeanine Friesen
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- ¾ cup gluten-free oat flour or millet flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large overripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups total)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (omit for nut-free cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly grease one 9” x 13” pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, oat flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, espresso powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the softened butter with the granulated and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, stir to combine the eggs, vanilla, mashed bananas, and sour cream.
- Pour the banana mixture into the butter/sugar mixture, and beat until well blended.
- With the mixer running on medium-low speed, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir to combine. Add the walnuts and stir again to incorporate them.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan, leveling the top with a rubber spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. The cake will also release from the edge of the pan, and the top may begin to crack slightly.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.