Gluten-Free Dutch Oven Cheddar and Beer Bread

Gluten-Free Dutch Oven Cheddar and Beer Bread | The Baking Beauties

When it comes to developing new gluten-free recipes in my kitchen, I must admit, I enjoy playing with bread recipes. Although I’ve had a fair amount of success with cakes, like the Devil’s Food Cake, I do find it more difficult to get the right texture when it comes to cake. I am still trying to develope a gluten-free white cake recipe that has just the right texture & crumb, I was close last time, but not quite there. But, when it comes to breads, I have an easier time figuring out what I need to do to make the the dough look and feel the way that it should, and quite often have success on the first try. This recipe for Gluten-Free Cheddar and Beer Bread is one of those success stories.

I have heard quite a bit about no-knead breads in the past. Books, like Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day (which also includes a chapter on gluten-free breads), have helped people to realize that baking fresh bread does not need to be a difficult, time-consuming task. Instead, you simply mix your ingredients together, let the dough sit on the counter for a few hours, form into loaves, let it rest again, and then bake it. Those are the same steps that I used to accomplish this savoury loaf that I am sharing today.

Nordic Ware gifts for FBC Conference 2013 attendees

But first, I would like to introduce the star of this delicious bread recipe – my new 3-quart enameled cast aluminum Dutch Oven from Nordic Ware. I received this pot, along with a braising pan and a chicken leg griller, as a gift from Nordic Ware, who is one of the sponsors of the upcoming Food Bloggers of Canada Conference that I am attending. When I looked at the Dutch Oven, I thought – I could make a great stew in that. But, then my mind turned to bread instead. I’ve heard of breads being baked in pots with heavy, fitted lids, but had never tried it. Baking the bread in a Dutch Oven traps the moisture in the pot while the bread bakes, giving you a beautiful, crispy crust on the outside of the bread, but a nice, chewy inside. Similar to steam injection that the professionals use for crispy baguettes and brioche. After experimenting with it, I can tell you first hand, it works beautifully, even with gluten-free breads.

This Nordic Ware Dutch Oven worked beautifully to bake this bread in. The Dutch Oven is enamel coated, so no sticking, even if the dough had touched the sides. However, my favorite thing about this Dutch Oven is it’s weight. It works as well as a cast iron pot, but it is not nearly as heavy as cast iron. It is still easy to lift & carry, even if would be full of a delicious stew.

Gluten-Free Dutch Oven Cheddar and Beer Bread | The Baking Beauties

Disclosure: I received the Nordic Ware products as a gift, however, the opinions expressed are my own. This blog post contains Amazon affiliate links.

, ,

39 Responses to Gluten-Free Dutch Oven Cheddar and Beer Bread

1. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) April 9, 2013 at 7:40 am #

Jeanine this looks fabulous!!! I’m just getting started with bread making so am not quite ready to take on gluten free bread but when I am, this will be where I turn!

• Jeanine April 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Thanks, Mardi! I’ve had better luck baking gluten-free breads than I ever did baking wheat-based breads. Maybe since I didn’t have the need, I lacked the drive to learn. :)

• Judy December 16, 2013 at 1:14 am #

I wonder if anyone has used the Robin Hood Gluten Free Flour Blend? I am going to make a few gluten free recipes for Christmas Dinner for my daughter. I think it will work out for gravy too.

• Jeanine Friesen December 16, 2013 at 9:01 am #

I haven’t played with that blend at all, Judy. I know Wheat Free Mom did some experimenting with it a few months ago, maybe her thoughts on it will help you: http://wheatfreemom.com/blog/?s=%22Robin+Hood%22

• Judy December 16, 2013 at 10:00 am #

Thank you so much.

• Caroline June 19, 2014 at 10:13 pm #

I purchased the Robin Hood flour mix hoping it would be a good all purpose gf flour for kitchen. I’ve tried it numerous times and no one likes the taste or texture. There are 7 people who have to eat gluten free in our family and I have been cooking this way for 12 years. We find that there is no 1 blend that is best. Most of our recipes have a few different flours/starches that work well for that particular recipe. Enjoying your blog!

2. Marisa April 9, 2013 at 7:46 am #

I would eat this even though I’m lactose intolerant!

• Jeanine April 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

You can always use a dairy-free cheese, or even omit it all together, it will still work great!

3. Ligea April 9, 2013 at 8:32 am #

This is definitely the next recipe I’m going to try! Looks delicious!

4. Louanne April 9, 2013 at 10:18 am #

Love being able to make a beer bread again! Do you think I could sub in Better Batter for the flours? Would I not add the xantham gum?

• Jeanine April 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

Hi Louanne! I’m not sure how Better Batter would react, I have never used it, sorry! You’re welcome to try though. If it doesn’t have xanthan, add it, and if it does, I would still add another 1 1/2 teaspoons. Breads just need more xanthan than other things. :)

5. Julie P April 9, 2013 at 11:46 am #

I have an all-purpose g/f baking flour, which includes all the different flours you listed. I’ll give it a go and let you know how it turns out. :)

• Jeanine April 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

I’d love to hear how it works for you, Julie!

6. Karin Goodman April 9, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

This looks amazing. One question – you say to shape 2 balls, do you bake one at a time? Or put both in the same dutch oven?

• Jeanine April 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

That is a fabulous question, Karin! One that had crossed my mind as I was trying to write up the recipe clearly (which I obviously failed at). :) I used two dutch ovens, one for each loaf. You could use any pot with a lid, or bake only one loaf at a time, and keep the dough in the fridge until another day.

• Jeanine Friesen December 16, 2013 at 8:59 am #

I actually used two dutch ovens, Karin.

7. Megan @ Allergy Free Alaska April 9, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

This looks SO GOOD, Jeanine! I wish I could have diary, because this most definitely would be on my must make list!

Thank you for posting the info on the Nordic Ware Dutch Oven. I had never heard of that brand before, but it looks like something I’d be interested in. I have a Lodge Dutch Oven, and love it, but it just hasn’t stood up to all of the baking/cooking I do in my kitchen. It’s been beat up! I’m curious how these would rate when compared to the Lodge brand (after repeat use)? I might have to invest in one down the road!

Hugs,
    Megan

• Jeanine Friesen April 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

I haven’t used my Nordic Ware long, but I really like it so far!

8. Rach@twolicious April 9, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

I think I’ll have to get some now, you’ve given me the motivation. At least I’ll have a couple of beer recipes to try, I see you have a beef and beer stew which might be a nice autumn dinner.
    Thank you.
    Oh btw what makes your cheddar so orange? Pardon my ignorance. Our cheddar is a pale yellow, even aged.

• Jeanine Friesen April 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

Haha, Rach, I think that the manufacturers just colour our cheese orange. :) I can buy cheddar curds in white or orange, yet they are the same kind of cheese. Odd, huh? Marketing, I guess.

9. Margaret April 9, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Looks delicious. Glad it can be made without the beer, not one of my favorite flavors.

• Jeanine Friesen April 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

I think it should work without the beer, I know a few other people have made it that way already.

10. Laureen @FoxKitchen April 10, 2013 at 4:18 am #

I have tried to convert an old wheat Beer Bread recipe to gluten free but my attempts have not been successful. Maybe with your recipe I will have better luck :)
    Love the Nordic Ware…nice gift, lucky you!

• Jeanine Friesen April 24, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

I’ve played around with beer in some baking. I’ve heard from a reader that they squished this dough down and used it as a pizza crust too. now that sounds amazing!

11. Bridget Oland April 15, 2013 at 10:28 am #

Great way to use the new pot! I love this recipe and have all the ingredients so am going to give it a try. I’ll substitute molasses for the honey and see how it goes.

• Jeanine Friesen April 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

I’m sure the molasses substitution would work great, Bridget! :)

12. Annette April 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

Best tasting gluten free bread ever……………there’s no turning back! I really like the idea of using it for a pizza crust as well.

• Jeanine Friesen April 25, 2013 at 7:02 am #

Ah – I’m so glad that you guys liked it, Annette! Your pics on FB looked great, but wasn’t sure what you thought of the taste. Wouldn’t it make an amazing pizza crust? Fantastic idea, wish I’d thought of it. ;)

13. Kim April 24, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

This looks delicious….But where in Winnipeg can I get a Nordic Ware dutch oven. ( I don’t own any dutch oven but like the looks of this ones)….I think I am going to give this recipe a try…thank you.

• Jeanine Friesen April 25, 2013 at 7:05 am #

Hi Kim! Apparently “The Happy Cooker” is a Nordicware distibutor – http://thehappycooker.ca/

If you ever head down to Minneapolis, that is where Nordicware is made, and they apparently have a factory outlet there as well. I’m hoping to make a visit this summer.

And if you have to order it online, shipping won’t be ridiculous either, because they are cast aluminum, not cast iron, so they aren’t super heavy.

14. Melissa September 28, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

I made this bread today and boy is it delicious!!! This is the best bread I’ve ever had!! Thank you so much for this recipe!! I can’t wait to eat this with a bowl of tomato soup!!

• Jeanine Friesen October 9, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Mmm… this bread SCREAMS for a nice hot bowl of soup! Glad to hear you’re enjoying it, Melissa, thanks!

1. Gluten Free Recipes for Summer: 73 Recipes for Barbecues, Picnics, and Camping — The Tomato Tart - July 19, 2013

[...] Gluten Free Cheddar Beer Bread from The Baking Beauties [...]

2. Gluten Free Vanilla Bundt Cake {and a giveaway} - The Baking Beauties - October 9, 2013

[…] Bloggers of Canada Conference. Nordic Ware was a sponsor of the conference, and I received some complimentary pieces . Funny thing is, I’ve always had Nordic Ware products in my kitchen but never made the […]

3. Gluten Free Millet Sandwich Bread - The Baking Beauties - January 2, 2014

[…] […]

4. Top 10 Recipes of 2013 - The Baking Beauties - January 7, 2014

[…] Gluten Free Dutch Oven Cheddar and Beer Bread […]

5. Baking Gluten Free Bread In Oven | my gluten free diet - September 19, 2014

[…] Gluten-Free Dutch Oven Cheddar and Beer Bread – The Baking … – I have had a recipe for a gluten free bread that used beer. I’ve been putting it off as it is not that easy to find a gf beer in our town. I think I’ll have to get some now, you’ve given me the motivation. […]