Everyone has those nights they don’t know what to make for supper. Especially those days when it’s so hot, you can’t even imagine turning on the oven, or spending more time than necessary in the kitchen. This quick pasta salad takes only as long to prepare as it takes for your pasta to cook, it doesn’t get much quicker than that. Not that long ago, we had just such a day. It was hot, the kids had been playing in the pool all afternoon, then before you know it, it’s suppertime, and besides finding something to throw on the grill (grilled chicken would be great with this, by the way), I wasn’t sure what to feed everyone. So I just started throwing things together, and this pasta salad was the result. We sat down to eat and everyone raved, that is when I realized that I should have measured and written out the recipe so that I could share it with you guys. No one complained when I made it again. In fact, they were helping themselves to seconds (and maybe thirds, I won’t say). I hope that this quick meal is something that will save you from the “What’s for supper?” question one night.
- 500 grams (1.1 pounds) gluten-free Penne pasta
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or other neutral flavour oil)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 3/4 cup (140 grams) mozzarella cheese, cubed
- Cook the pasta according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk together the garlic, oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Pour over the chopped tomato, and stir to coat. Let sit until the pasta is done cooking.
- Drain the pasta, and rinse under hot running water. Just rinse for a few seconds, it is best if the pasta is still a little warm when it is tossed with the dressing.
- Return the pasta to the pot and add the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with the chopped basil and stir to evenly coat the pasta with the sauce. Stir in the cubed mozzarella cheese.
- Serve immediately, or chill and serve cold.
Love your pasta? Check out these other gluten-free pasta dishes: