Summer is going by faster than I like. The kids have just over 3 weeks left before they have to go back to school, and I know those weeks will go by just as quickly as the first 5 have. Way too quick. We’ve been enjoying the time off from routine, staying in our jammies a little longer, eating lunch in the middle of the afternoon, stuff like that. It seems that we had 3 weeks of great hot weather at the beginning of summer, and since then we’ve had cooler, almost fall like, temperatures. But before those temps dropped, we were sure to enjoy a few glasses of Strawberry Lemonade.
Kicking back in the heat of the day with a nice cold drink. This Strawberry Lemonade is the perfect thirst quencher after doing some yard work or playing with the kids in the yard. Sure, you can buy flavoured lemonade mixes in the store, but you really won’t believe how easy it is to make your own flavoured lemonade at home with a few simple ingredients. Not a fan of strawberries? Substitute them with raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries, or a combination of berries, for a new flavour.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups ice water or club soda
- Heat 2 cups water and 1 cup sugar In a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place strawberries and lemon juice in a blender, and puree until smooth. Add the sugar mixture, and stir to combine. At this point, you can strain it, if you like, to remove any small pieces of strawberry that remain. This step is optional. Pour into a pitcher.
- Add the remaining ice water or club soda, and stir. Serve over ice, kick back, and enjoy!
Other beverages to help you keep cool this summer: