With winter still roaring along in Manitoba, this easy, healthy Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup is definitely a welcomed sight.
Remember those Gluten Free Bread Bowls I shared with you the other day? Today I’m sharing a recipe for a soul warming, comforting soup that is perfect to serve in them. You’re probably expecting this creamy, hearty soup to be loaded with calories, aren’t you? According to the Recipe Nutrition Calculator on myfitnesspal.com, this soup comes out to about 250 calories per serving. I’d say that’s pretty decent for a thick, creamy soup. (Note: I don’t calculate every recipe, just did this one for an approximate value, and to prove that creamy soup can be done light.)
The inspiration for this soup actually came from my kids. During Christmas break I took them grocery shopping with me. With both of them being older, it’s really kind of fun to take them shopping with me because I can send them to get things from different areas of the store. While we were going through the produce, I had my daughter pick out some red peppers. I asked my son to go get some cucumbers. He then said he would like some guacamole, so I told him he had to find the the avocados first. If he could find them, we’d make him some “grock-a-moley” (how he pronounced it). He found them! Then they saw the leeks. We don’t often venture into different veggies, there’s a lot in the store that I’ve never tried, mostly because I’m just not sure what to do with them. We’ve had leeks in the house once before, but I’m pretty sure both kids are too small to remember. But, thanks to THIS SCENE from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, my kids wanted to try leeks. Who says all influence from movies has to be bad? The kids both loved this soup, they had a great time saying “There’s a leek in my bowl!”, and they were pleased that they could eat their bowls when they finished their soup.
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 leeks (whites only), thoroughly washed and sliced
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 900 ml (30 fl oz) gluten free low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water (or enough to ensure your potatoes are covered)
- 370 ml (12.5 fl oz) skim evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- sliced onion greens, fried bacon bits, and additional shredded cheese to garnish
- Place potatoes, leeks, celery, parsley, thyme, black pepper, and garlic into a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth and water over top. Cook on High for 4-5 hours, or until the potatoes are tender when poked with a fork.
- Stir in the evaporated milk and shredded cheese. Stir. Cook for another 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, or working in small batches with a regular blender or food processor, puree the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped onion greens, bacon bits (we fried up turkey bacon), and additional shredded cheese before serving.
This post is linked to Whole Food Fridays.