These Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Crispy Treats are a great quick snack for perfect to pack in your child’s lunch kit, or as a classroom treat.
With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, I thought I would share a super simple, easy treat that will put a smile on your kid’s face. These Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Crispy Treats would be perfect to wrap in cellophane and gift, or to bring to class as a special treat to celebrate the day. I made them fairly large, using a 2 1/2″ heart cookie cutter, only because I did not have any smaller cookie cutters on hand. I think 1 1/2″ size would be better for kids, and then you may even be able to put them on a lollipop stick, making them even cuter.
Although this recipe is geared towards Valentine’s Day, you can change the colour of the crispy treats by using a different flavour of Kool-Aid, and using any shape cookie cutter to create a rainbow of fun, flavourful snacks.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 packet strawberry Kool-Aid (unsweetened)
- 6 cups gluten-free crispy rice cereal
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles (optional)
- Additional coloured chocolate to drizzle (optional)
- Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving paper running up the 13-inch sides. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and marshmallows. Once they are completely melted, stir in the Kool-Aid powder.
- Add the crispy rice cereal, and stir until it is all evenly coated.
- Scrape mixture into the prepared baking pan, using a wet rubber spatula to spread the mixture over the whole pan. Place another piece of parchment paper on top, and press into pan.
- Once the cake has set up, lift it out of the pan using the parchment paper as handles.
- Using a metal cookie cutter of your choice, cut the crispy rice treats into shapes.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate and shortening. Microwave in 30 second intervals at 50%, stirring in between, until the chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Dip the crispy rice treats into the chocolate, tapping against the side of the bowl to remove any extra chocolate. Place on wax paper lined baking sheet, and decorate with sprinkles or coloured melted chocolate, if desired.
Looking for more great treats and desserts for Valentine’s Day? How about…