Gluten Free Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins is quite the mouth full, but these moist, flavourful muffins can be summed up in one word – Yum.
When I am baking muffins, I love using gluten-free oat flour in my flour blend. Where a simple rice and starch combination would leave a gummy, sticky muffin, oat flour adds some bite, stability, moisture, and nutrition. Those are all characteristics that you want in a muffin. You want a muffin that will not crumble with that first bite. A muffin that goes well with a cup of coffee or tea, but isn’t dry that you NEED that coffee or tea just to swallow. And the nutritional value of oat flour over rice flour or starches can’t be argued. In comparison, oat flour is much higher in fiber, calcium, iron and protein, yet lower in carbohydrates.
If you’re in Canada, you may be asking why you can’t find certified gluten-free oats on the shelves. The Canadian gluten-free standard is less than 20ppm, but until the regulations are changed to reflect the processing of pure oats, no oat products can be labelled as gluten-free. This is why you do not see a gluten-free claim on the packaging. Avena Foods in Saskatchewan follows strict growing, harvesting, and production procedures to ensure that their oats are “pure” and they actually test to less than 5ppm. Regular lab testing using R5-ELISA methodology confirms that all Only Oats products are safe for those on a gluten-free diet. You can read more about their growing, harvesting, handling, and processing practices HERE.
Kitchen items that made baking these muffins and loaf a breeze:
- 1 cup Only Oats pure whole grain oat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup peanut butter or nut-free butter (Wowbutter worked great)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oat flour, cocoa powder, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the bananas (I like to mash mine with a potato masher), brown sugar, sour cream, oil, peanut butter, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let muffins sit in the tin for a few minutes, before gently removing them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan, and line with parchment paper, so that the paper sticks up the 9-inch side of the pan. This will make removing the loaf from the pan much easier.
Mix the batter according to muffin directions. Spoon into prepared pan and smooth the top.
Bake in preheated oven for 70-75 minute, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully lifting the loaf out of the pan using the parchment paper, and placing on a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before wrapping in two layers of plastic wrap.
Only Oats products are available for purchase across Canada. Click HERE to find a store near you. To make things very convenient, Bulk Barn carries prepackaged Only Oats products, so there is no need to worry about cross contamination from other products in the store. Like to save money on your gluten-free goods? For June and July Bulk Barn is offering a bag stuffer promo. With a purchase of any in store products you receive a coupon booklet in your bag for a 25% discount on a variety of products on your next purchase. This discount applies to Only Oats products including Quick Flakes, Rolled Oats and Steel Cut Oats.
Disclosure: I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own. This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links – your cost remains the same, but I earn a small percentage to help support this blog. Thank you!