Gluten Free Lemon Sugar Cookies are so easy to make, filled with the flavour of lemon zest, and topped with a wonderful lemon icing. They also freeze beautifully.
I love having some homemade cookies on hand during the week because they pack perfectly in lunch kits. If they are easy to make, and freeze well, that is a huge bonus! These Gluten Free Lemon Sugar Cookies are so easy to whip together, and since they are drop cookies, they take nearly no time to prepare and bake. Plus, they freeze great, even with the lemon icing on them. Once the icing has dried and hardened, place them in a container with waxed paper in between the layers of cookies. The next time you need a cookie or two (or three), they are ready to go!
One of my favourite kitchen “must have” items is my stainless steel cookie scoops. I love using my cookie scoops for making drop cookies, it really helps to make all the cookies the same size. I actually have three sizes that I use all the time. Definitely worth the investment for me.
- Lemon Sugar Cookies:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Zest of half a large lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 1/3 cup white rice flour
- 2/3 cup potato starch
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' (icing) sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- yellow colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the sour cream, oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs, and lemon zest until smooth. Set aside.
- Place all the remaining dry ingredients in a separate mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix on medium speed until completely blended.
- Scoop 2 teaspoons of dough on your baking sheet, leaving 2-inches between cookies to allow for them to expand while baking. Dampen your hands with a small amount of water and roll the scooped dough into a smooth ball. This will give your finished cookies a nice round shape.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven for 12-13 minutes, or until just slightly browned around the outside. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Only frost cookies when they are completely cooled. Store cookies in an airtight container.
- In a tall mixing bowl, beat all the ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container until you are ready to frost the cookies.
Looking for more cookies? Download the FREE Gluten Free Cookies E-book.
Having some trouble with your cookies? Please read How to Correct Your Gluten Free Cookie Crisis.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using these links – your cost remains the same, but I earn a small percentage to help support this blog. Thank you!