You may have heard the term “food hack” being used lately, but what is a food hack? A food hack is simply when you use an item in a different way than originally intended, often creating a quick and easy shortcut. It’s like making these taco shells with plain tortillas, or these Easy Cheesy Sticks using a slice of bread. Udi’s Gluten Free recently ran a “What the Hack” contest, where people were asked to create a food hack using any of Udi’s products. Check out the variety of ways their customers found to use Udi’s products – there are some very creative people out there! Food hacks have become quite popular as people look for quicker and easier ways to feed their family. In fact, Udi’s has created an entire Pinterest board full of brilliant food hacks – some pretty neat ideas there!
I was asked by Udi’s to create a food hack using their products to inspire you guys to think outside the cookie cutter. I decided to use their Pizza Crust and Maple Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies to make this delicious dessert pizza. This Easy Apple Crumble Pizza includes a layer of slightly sweetened cream cheese, and a wonderful homemade apple filling. You are welcome to use bought pie filling if you have a brand you enjoy. I wanted this to be more apples than filling, so I opted for homemade.
- 2 Udi's pizza crusts, baked according to directions and cooled
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' (icing) sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large Gala apples (or other apple that keeps its shape when cooked), peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon water mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 Udi's Maple Pecan Chocolate Chip cookies, chopped
- 1/3 cup confectioners' (icing) sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup confecterions' sugar, and maple extract. Divide between the two crusts, and spread to cover the crusts.
- In a large skillet, combine brown sugar, water, butter, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring the mixture to a boil, and add the apples. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. While the mixture is still bubbling, stir in the water/cornstarch mixture, and stir to distribute evenly. Continue cooking until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before adding to the pizzas.
- Once you have added the apples on top of the cream cheese layer, add a layer of cut up Maple Pecan Chocolate Chip cookies.
- Stir together 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Add more milk, 1/2 a teaspoon at a time, if it is too thick. Drizzle on the pizzas.
- Cover and refrigerate pizzas for at least 1 hour before serving. These pizzas keep well, and can be made in advance without a problem.
Enter to WIN an Udi’s Prize Pack
Now is your chance to win an Udi’s prize pack! All you have to do is tell me what you would make using Udi’s Gluten Free product in a “food hack”. You can use this Apple Crumble Pizza as inspiration.
The giveaway is open to Canadian and US residents over the age of 18. Winner will be contacted via email, and must reply within 48 hours, or a new winner will be chosen. The contest will run until June 22, 2014 12:00 am CST. Winner will be chosen at random. Good luck to all that enter!
This recipe is shared on Gluten Free Fridays.
Note: I did not receive monetary compensation to write this post. I did receive products to create the recipe. All opinions expressed are my own.