Gluten-Free Easter Bread (Paska)
Author: Jeanine Friesen
- 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon rapid rise yeast
- 1 1/3 cup white rice flour
- 2/3 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons unflavoured gelatin
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup warm heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- zest & juice of 1/2 navel orange
- Combine warm water, sugar & yeast. Set aside until bubbly (proofing your yeast).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all dry ingredients and mix until evenly distributed.
- In a medium size bowl, combine all wet ingredients, including zest & juice of lemon & orange.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients, and the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients, and beat for 2 minutes. Add more water if it is too dry. The dough should be very soft and sticky.
- Place dough in greased pan. This recipe bakes one loaf, or you can make 12 buns, using muffin tins as a mold. Smooth tops with a wet spatula or greased hands.
- Let rise in warm place for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes (25-30 for buns). Cover tops of loaf/buns with foil after 10 minutes, to prevent the tops from browning too much.
- Once cooled, frost with your favorite vanilla frosting (shh...mine was store-bought).
Recipe by The Baking Beauties at http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2009/04/gluten-free-easter-bread-paska.html